GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Engine Swap!!! (it seized...lol)

This is for my neighbor. He bought this truck right when i moved in. Turns out the pre-owner never chainged the oil, the valve train baked itself dry, and the engine froze.... wish i moved in sooner to tell him 'dont buy it' lol

anyway- were starting to take everything apart to do an engine swap. im excited cause this is the newest vehicle ive ever done this in (its always been carb non emission engines)
    any advice?

its 2wd so that will make it easier. I think its a 2002. he still needs to find a replacement long block... my only concern is tunning this new engine once we change out everything.
    things like valve lash and timing are totaly different for these engines because of the computer.

dose the valve-lash and timming come preset when you get a new engine? I was thinking we would clear the computer's memory, then disable the ignition, and trun the engine over to both prime it, and let the sensors talk to the computer for crank position, etc... then see if it starts itself.

any advice on the procedure, where to get a engine, or resources to explore would be awesome.
    thanks!
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Legend
    Blog Entries

What kind of engine?? 5.3, 6.0, 5.7??

I think your going to be surprised just how easy it is, a lot of people look at the newer cars and think "oh man that would suck to have to swap a motor in one of these!!" I have done an LS swap, and an LT1 swap, and it really is plug and play especially what you guys are doing. If your doing a straight swap, meaning same type of engine you'll be fine.

Your going to have to go to autozone and rent an oil primer or buy one, I wouldn't recommend dry priming it like an old school SBC. You do this by hand, It looks like a slide hammer almost.

As far as the ECM, your going to have to have VATS disabled and a crank relearn done. I would also recommend upgrading the oil pump to a high volume Melling oil pump while you have the engine out, they cost the same as the stock unit but are ported for better flow.

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff, but this will get you started.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

VATS disabled?
    is that like my truck's tuning mode?

i heard on OBD-1 trucks like mine, when you do the engine swap, you need to hard-wire the ECU into closed-loop while you set timing and valve lash....

Legend
    Blog Entries

96 and older obd1
    97 and up obd2

Vats=vehicle anti theft system

On his 02 the only way to adjust timing is through something like hptuners, or have it professionally tuned. You shouldn't have to mess with the timing, crank relearn, and vats deletion and your good to go. As far as hardwiring the ECM, your playing with fire. In order for the ECM to go into closed loop, it will cycle through all the sensors. When it gets all the correct signals, then it will go into closed loop.

If you want to force it into closed loop you can, by disconnecting the map sensor.

Again this is all speculation, because I have no idea what engine we are talking about lol?

the 5.3 vortec i think
    were gonna check the numbers to be sure

Sr. Apprentice

engine swapping is the process of replacing the engine of vehicles.whole performance of our vehicle depends on engine so be aware about good repair company.during swapping of engine care about car safety,performance,handling & reliability.ECU needs to correct input of the sensor,it is electronically compatible. swapping have done accurately by using technology save money & increase the performance & life of vehicle.

engine R/R in these trucks is really simple!

NO valve lash or any of that old school nonsense.

Fill with oil and if you really want to prime it up, just unhook the fuel injectors and coil packs. turn it over for about 30-45 seconds and then fire it up.
    ive done that one time but now we just start them up and it gets oil pressure just as fast as after you do a oil change.

Swap the engine and go.
    -Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

wow, awesome! thanks.
    i really want one of these engines in my truck....
    but the only way i can afford it, is if i find a rolled truck (or something) and get everything intacked for cheap...