GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 95 chevy truck dies on cold start

I got a 95 k1500 5.7 tbi when the engine is cold it will die when I try to start it but if I give it just a little throttle it will start and run perfectly fine. some one help me with this what could cause that

It could be multiple things. A vacuum leak, when was the last time you installed: New plugs, new distributor cap and rotor, new wires, new air filter, fuel filter? Have you rented a fuel pressure gauge and checked the fuel pressure? What is the pressure? does it hold steady after you shut the truck off? Do you have a service engine soon light on when the truck is running? Does it idle ok after it starts? Maybe an IAC issue?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Just recently did plugs cap rotor and wires and fuel filter that's when it started doing it I've checked the vacuum lines all are good I will check the fuel pressure this weekend

- - - Updated - - -

It runs fine just have to push the throttle in for a few seconds when I start it then it goes just fine like nothings wrong if I dont it dies right away idles fine no sputter or anything

could also be a very dirty throttle body. Inefficient until you get a good flow going. Easy to clean with TBI. Just hose the throttle intake down with Throttle body cleaner. Use a cloth rag, where you can, to mop up whatever you can get cleaned up.

Also, I'm assuming you've got a fresh air filter on? Those old round ones aren't bad cleaning the air, but you should also check to be sure the seals are still good, and you don't have massive clogging.

There's a myriad of little things can cause a cold start hiccups. Most, fortunately, are not serious.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)