GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Heres some interesting DRL...........trivia?
    GM originally proposed DRL use to NHTSA in 1990 for North American Vehicles, their reason was to standardize NA vehicle production since Canada had mandated them.
    NHTSA objected for a few reasons, refractry or stray light issues, and studies conducted showed they had no affect on "most" vehicles. Two places that showed safety improvements were motorcycle accident reduction, 3.7% and light truck and van accident reduction of 5.7%
    At this time there are no Federal mandates to require DRL's, only local which are hard to enforce since you can simply buy a vehicle in a neighboring municipality that isnt equipt and not required to be.
    There were proposals to for federal restrictions on light intensity, capping them at 1,500 cd but those proposals have all but died and arent actively being persued at this time.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Heres some interesting DRL...........trivia?
    GM originally proposed DRL use to NHTSA in 1990 for North American Vehicles, their reason was to standardize NA vehicle production since Canada had mandated them.

I almost bought a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins that was originally a Canadian truck, it had DRLs enabled. For all the 2nd gen Dodges I've seen in the states, it was the only one with DRLs enabled.

I'm going to guess that almost any vehicle manufactured today could have the DRL enabled/disabled, you probably just have to ask the dealer when you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    The rate at which people engage in activities other than driving includes them as STUPID, and as such the majority of them forget to turn their headlights on...ergo, they are STUPID for not focusing on driving. Do DRLs make them safer...yup, especially at night and when its raining.

I have been in two accidents recently, both times it was because the other person was engaged in something other than "driving". In PA we have a "wipers on-headlights on" law...do you have any idea the number of cars (new cars mind you) that didn't have ANY lights on this AM??

My point is they are STUPID because they are habitually doing something other than driving, and putting the rest of us at risk for an accident because of that. If you're OK with that that's your choice, I very much value my family's safety.
    I do not dispute that people who engage in other activities while driving when they should be focused on driving are indeed acting stupid. No argument here.

My point is that people call other people "stupid" when they forget to turn their lights on when it it is dusk. This IMO is a hypocritical statement as if fact there is no one that has driven a car for any length of time, has forgotten to turn their headlights on on more than one occasion. This assumes that the vehicle being driven does not have DRLs or automatic headlamps.

Pennsylvania's wipers on headlights on is a really dumb law because what if someone (like me) uses Rain-X? Rain-X almost eliminates the need for wipers. So by PA law, if I am driving down the road and have properly used Rain-X on my windshield, I don't need to turn my headlights on during a heavy rain? See dumb. PA should have written the law to state that an operator of a vehicle shall be required to turn their headlights on during inclement weather.

As I said before I am very much a huge proponent of automatic headlamps, and I do think that DRLs might make a car safer.

What gets me is that people who are anti-DRL cannot provide one good reason against DRLs. The reasons they spout could hardly be considered valid. BFD I my have to change a headlamp a little more often. IMO, if a vehicle has DRLs, OK, if it does not, OK.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Former Member

Obviously you have answers to all the answers...I'm done here.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I'm not talking about turning the brights on and leaving them on, I'm talking about a quick 1/10 second flash to let the semi trucker know it's safe to get over. I do this when a semi wants to get back over to the right and have never been flipped off/cursed, etc. IMO it's FAR safer just to flick the high beams for that brief 1/10 of a second than to take my hands off the wheel and turn the lights on than off again. That's the reason the manufacturer makes the turn signal stalk momentarily flash the brights by pulling back on it.

As far as livestock, I will take your word on it. I have driven out in the country and would NOT want to drive with no lights when in low or no light. What does the person do when they are driving at night and have to turn the headlights on?

Reason that automatic headlamps (not DRLs) are a great thing. That sensor on the dash is far more reliable than a human being, even the people that call other people "stupid" have more than once forgotten to turn their headlights on when it was dark. If they say they have not, they are lying.
    4) that brief quick flash of the high beams might be right when the driver is looking in the mirror at you. Commercial drivers, by training and habit, tend to have their eyes in those mirrors more frequently than the typical driver. And those big mirrors on the sides can really pass along a lot of light anyway, and the have no "nightime dimming" feature like the typical 4 wheeler rear view mirror.

5) you show your limited understanding of the livestock/wildlife issue being brought up. Most of us that have or live on farms also tend to drive OFF ROAD. I know is seems silly to take a 4x4 off road, but farmers and rancher do have to do that from time to time. Last thing I need is to go thru a pasture area off road and have livestock go on a tear. Especially when trying to check in the spring on new born calves. This is why I have issues with the "fine" folks who give us this nonsense. They haven't a clue what some of us in the "real" world have to do with out vehicles. They seem to think the entire world just uses their trucks for commuting and camping. Funny, though.... the commercials and brochures always seem to tout how great they are for working and ranching, yet when you get your hands on them, you realize some dweeb has forced something on you that you didn't want or need. They know what is best for our own good and have self appointed themselves as our de facto nannies.

So...... the DRL fuses got pulled first thing when the truck came from the dealer. Now just have to disable the automatic low light sensor.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456