GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Why some people hate daytime running lights.

I have a friend of mine that for some unknown reason HATES DRLs. I have them on my Silverado and give them zero thought until he brings them up.

He rants on how bulb life is reduced and how it impacts his gas mileage. Seriously, does anyone think that when the DRLs are on that it significantly impacts their fuel economy.

I had a 2008 Silverado and now a 2013 Silverado and I have never even needed to touch the headlight switch. The DRLs are on during the day and the headlights switch on when it gets dark.

As far as bulb life, I had to replace one bulb in the 4 years I owned the 2008 Silverado. My old 2002 Explorer Sport Trac did not have DRLs and had manula headlamps and I had to replace both headlights twice in that vehicle, and to boot the Sport Trac with a V6 engine got worse fuel economy with cr@ppier power than either of my Silverados.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I have should have DRLs, but they don't work (original owner must have messed with them) so I drive at all times with my headlights on. I like knowing people can see me and its nice having the dash illuminated all the time. I know some think this puts too much draw on the electrical system, but were only talking like 25-30 amps total with brake lights, park lights and headlights as well as interior lights. My factory alt is rated at 100 amps and I only see the voltmeter drop when I put the defroster on while running the blower on high and such. (after my big three upgrade)

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

IMO, DRLs might make a vehicle 1% safer in an oncoming traffic situation and probably use 0.05% more fuel. Because of this I give DRLs almost no thought unless someone else brings them up. If a vehicle had DRLs OK, if it does not OK, makes no impact on my buying decision.

Now what I do REALLY like is automatic headlamps on a vehicle. If a vehicle does not have automatic headlamps that does impact my buying decision.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Seriously, does anyone think that when the DRLs are on that it significantly impacts their fuel economy.
    I don't give it a second thought. Clearly your friend is overly concerned with pinching pennies if he cares about replacing a 3-5 dollar bulb every 4 years and saving however much gas it takes to activate the alternator just enough to supply only the power used by said bulb across the entirety of a given average drive.

Want to get his goat? Talk about how much energy he wasted thinking and b1tching about your DRL's and how it could have better spent on a real problem in the world. That should shut him up.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I've had my Amber Silverstars since I've had my 08 Avalanche and never a burn out yet.. As for the DRL's using more gas...
    You've got to be Kidding!!!!!
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I have the park light type drl on the early to
    mid 00' trucks and replaced them with amber sylvania long life bulbs about 6 years ago. I like the amber with my black truck and brush guard. As for fuel milage thats crap and probably not even measureable. Ask him how early he turns on his turn signals and how over the life of the bulbs that kills milage, or dome lights, or radio volume, or how driving not directly N,S,E,W wastes gas as the compass has to illuminate the NW, SW etc etc. You could go all day about that bs....
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I don't give it a second thought. Clearly your friend is overly concerned with pinching pennies if he cares about replacing a 3-5 dollar bulb every 4 years and saving however much gas it takes to activate the alternator just enough to supply only the power used by said bulb across the entirety of a given average drive.

Want to get his goat? Talk about how much energy he wasted thinking and b1tching about your DRL's and how it could have better spent on a real problem in the world. That should shut him up.
    Ha as usual pretty spot on
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I have should have DRLs, but they don't work (original owner must have messed with them) so I drive at all times with my headlights on. I like knowing people can see me and its nice having the dash illuminated all the time. I know some think this puts too much draw on the electrical system, but were only talking like 25-30 amps total with brake lights, park lights and headlights as well as interior lights. My factory alt is rated at 100 amps and I only see the voltmeter drop when I put the defroster on while running the blower on high and such. (after my big three upgrade)
    my 2000 SILVERADO uses 66 amps with the ac on max and the headlights on . I measured the amperage . DRL lamps draw about 5 amps max .total ..

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    my 2000 SILVERADO uses 66 amps with the ac on max and the headlights on . I measured the amperage . DRL lamps draw about 5 amps max .total ..
    Then my estimate of 25-30 amps for just lights seems accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post

I think he's more concerned that GM is "making" him have his headlights on. As I said, I don't even give DRLs a thought until someone else brings them up. If you Google "hate drls", you get a lot of people complaining about them. Seems to me that people have more time on their hands to complain about trivial stuff.

I told him he needs to get a vehicle that has no computer at all.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by