GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55
  1. #21

    Default

    I don't like them either but not because of gas or bulb life. If I cared about pennies I wouldn't have lifted my truck. I don't know why I don't like them...I just don't...but there is a solution...turn them off. Wow. Problem solved. Without pulling a fuse or taking the bulbs out you can just turn your lights knob over to off and the DRLs go out until the next time you shift out of park. I do this sometimes. Sometimes I leave them running. I don't usually think about it until I see another Silverado without their DRL's on or if I pull up to a window front or up to another car and see the DRL's reflection. Then I turn them off. It's a vanity thing for me. I think my truck is sexier without them on. Shame on me maybe but to each their own.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Vanessa (Fife, WA)
    2007 4x4 Silverado LT
    6" Superlift / Leveling Kit / Superchip
    MBRP Cat Back Performance Exhaust
    35" Tires / 19" Wheels / Smittybilt Nerfs
    Custom 2 Tone Leather Interior

    1978 3/4 Ton K5 Blazer Monster Truck
    8" suspension lift, 3" body lift
    44" tires, 16.5" wheels


  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koolbia View Post
    I don't like them either but not because of gas or bulb life. If I cared about pennies I wouldn't have lifted my truck. I don't know why I don't like them...I just don't...but there is a solution...turn them off. Wow. Problem solved. Without pulling a fuse or taking the bulbs out you can just turn your lights knob over to off and the DRLs go out until the next time you shift out of park. I do this sometimes. Sometimes I leave them running. I don't usually think about it until I see another Silverado without their DRL's on or if I pull up to a window front or up to another car and see the DRL's reflection. Then I turn them off. It's a vanity thing for me. I think my truck is sexier without them on. Shame on me maybe but to each their own.
    I don't know what to think of this, but it's your truck.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  3. #23

    Default

    This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever read through. People whining about DRLs....get a life! I say, the more lights the merrier. Lights are not just for seeing, but to be seen. I want to be seen by other drivers when I'm on the road. Buckmeister and ConlanRose both make very good points. I've had close calls before with idiots driving around in the rain, fog, or at dusk/dawn with no lights on. DRLs should take care of this problem, except for the fact that you can disable them. Go figure. As far as my truck being sexy.....I don't know how to answer that either.
    -Sal


    2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

    Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

    Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

  4. #24
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    291

    Default

    DRLs are for the people that don't know how to use a headlight switch...so they are safer, for those people. Pre-06, you may be able to have the dealer turn them on/off depending on your tastes...I could have had both my 99 and 2004.5 Dodges turned on, but never did.

    As for the automatic light turny onny thing...does anyone know if the lights will turn on if the wipers are triggered?? Seems like that would be a logical programming thing to include...

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    DRLs are for the people that don't know how to use a headlight switch...so they are safer, for those people. Pre-06, you may be able to have the dealer turn them on/off depending on your tastes...I could have had both my 99 and 2004.5 Dodges turned on, but never did.

    As for the automatic light turny onny thing...does anyone know if the lights will turn on if the wipers are triggered?? Seems like that would be a logical programming thing to include...
    DRLs are not for people that don't know how to operate a headlight switch. Remember, when DRLs are in use, the vehicle runs lower voltage to the low beams with what looks to be ~1/2 light output of regular low beams. This lower light output is almost unusable at night, so one would need to turn the headlights to full on.

    As far as automatic headlamps, since the Silverado even in LS form is still a lot of money, having a few creature comforts is nice. For the LTZ trim level, since one is paying a premium price, one would expect lots of premium features.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  6. #26

    Default

    I'm for 'em! Anything to help safety.
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    DRLs are not for people that don't know how to operate a headlight switch. Remember, when DRLs are in use, the vehicle runs lower voltage to the low beams with what looks to be ~1/2 light output of regular low beams. This lower light output is almost unusable at night, so one would need to turn the headlights to full on.
    As a FYI, my 04 Sierra has completely separate connections and lamps for DRL's ... and does NOT run lower voltage to the headlights when the DRL's are in use.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    As a FYI, my 04 Sierra has completely separate connections and lamps for DRL's ... and does NOT run lower voltage to the headlights when the DRL's are in use.
    The NBS trucks 99-07 had a separate bulb for the DRLs IIRC. After that GM moved back to lower voltage to the low beam.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The NBS trucks 99-07 had a separate bulb for the DRLs IIRC. After that GM moved back to lower voltage to the low beam.
    I can't speak for the Silvy's, but for the Sierra's it's a completely separate corner light housing that has a turn signal bulb at the corners and a DRL bulb on the grille side. I replaced mine with housing that has LEDS.

  10. #30
    Sr. Mechanic Cowpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    192

    Default

    My preference comes from a trucking perspective. I don't like them. Primarily, because of being able to properly flash an "OK" signal to a passing semi that it is safe to change lane back to the right in front of me. To "properly" do this in trucking etiquette is to shut the headlights OFF then back ON (nighttime) or On the back Off (daytime). Sometimes the truck driver cannot effectively distinguish between regular headlights and daytime running lights when looking in the mirror. Also, I live rural and do frequent driving thru fields, and do not want to "spook" livestock or other critters. In a low light situation, I may want all lights totally off for that purpose. Now, I realize that in designing off road 4x4 vehicles, that no one in Detroit actually had in mind that anyone would actually take them off road, but some of us actually do.

    And basically, it is principle. I am really becoming frustrated at how everyone from corporate to government has to hold my hand in just about everything I do in life. The ADRL is just another example of this nanny mentality.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Daytime Running Lights
    By Revredneck in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 02:45 PM
  2. I hate dumb people!
    By Magna86 in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 10:41 PM
  3. Daytime running lights
    By Santoy956 in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 02:40 PM
  4. LED Daytime Running Lights
    By dsrtne1 in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 01:24 PM
  5. daytime running lights???
    By Badbird in forum Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 04:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •