GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default new motor , starter problems

what's up guys,
    so I pulled my motor I had a rod snap. long story short I have gotten my whole motor installed and everything hooked up and ready to go . so I turn my ignition on and I have battery power but nothing from starter. not even a solenoid click. I ha e power going to starter (checked with test light) and when ignition is turned on I have power to my solenoid . but nothing comes of it. I took my starter up to a auto parts store the my checked it and it will spin but they kind of had to mess with it to get it to work. my starter gear will not come out when engaged, it will only spin in the housing . so I am having a problem figuring out if its a ground or what. I cleaned the ground in motor block and checked others still NOTHIng!!! I'm getting frustrated everything is ready to go and this is my only set back. please help guys I would really appreciate your consideration !!!
    2005 chevy reg cab 2500 6.0l
    bds 7" ntbd high clearance kit
    7%tint 15% Windsheild tint

Legend

SO THE starter motor rotates but the drive does not come out to engage the flywheel .\

what did the store do to get this to appear to work.

could be with the engine pull you distorted the starter housing. did you remove the starter with the engine pull ? if not then this is a good possibility.

the stArter was tested at a parts store. I thought I had a seized starter from sitting but they tested and the starter gear was spinning . and they said it passed. they were wrong for the first part.
    second my truck is not engaging the starter at all I turn the ignition key on and not even a solenoid click , but I have power to the starter and a little bit of power to the solenoid when ignition is turned to the on position there's nothing . no solenoid click . I think I have a electrical issue and don't know where to look

Legend

the engine does rotate by hand ? remove plugs to check that you can rotate the engine with out the use of the starter.

If you have power to the starter and the starter does not rotate the engine its a seized engine [hydro locked] or a defective stater motor assy.........

um no , I just had my motor rebuilt and I'm installing my whole motor and the starter is acting up NOT the motor . some kind of electrical issues

OK, so what @j cat is trying to tell you, if the engine can be turned by hand, it is not preventing the starter from spinning. If the starter will not spin on it's own, and if the bendix solenoid does not pull the starter drive into position, then he is telling you you need a new solenoid.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)