GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Just got my first boat!

Picked up a 17ft 1986 Wellcraft open bow with a 170 merccruiser. I'm new to boats and this is my first one ever. I'm looking forward to spending a nice summer out on the lake catching some bass and some rays. Here she is all hooked up to my truck tonight, she sure is in good shape for a 27 year old boat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	52142
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

Dont get me wrong I enjoy my boat, but say good bye to any extra cash you thought you had.
    Between operating cost's, repairs, parts, and fuel these suckers eat money quick.
    Good lookin Wellcraft bowrider she should be lots of fun this summer.
    Congrats.

Nice boat! I concur with previous post. Enjoy it, you'll have fun and catch some good rays.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

x3 on what @tbplus10 wrote. It's especially bad when you take out your buds, GF, etc. and no one ponies for fuel ... or when they do they fail to consider fuel costs of towing the sucker, too. I thought boating was spendy when fuel was $1.18/gallon (because boats drink fuel) -- and I think it's retardedly expensive at $3.25/gal.

Show me a fuel-efficient boat and I'll show you something with a sail.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    x3 on what @tbplus10 wrote. It's especially bad when you take out your buds, GF, etc. and no one ponies for fuel ... or when they do they fail to consider fuel costs of towing the sucker, too. I thought boating was spendy when fuel was $1.18/gallon (because boats drink fuel) -- and I think it's retardedly expensive at $3.25/gal.

Show me a fuel-efficient boat and I'll show you something with a sail.
    lol! I would say that my boat is pretty fuel efficient. But, that could also be very dependent on my usage. I have a 1985 four winns 19.5' with a cuddy cabin. It has a mercruiser 130 (4 cylinder GM motor) I can pull tubes and skiers for three 6 hour days on one 21 gallon tank. That only happens once a year. Most the time we put it in, cruise around the lake for 5-10 minutes and then find a nice spot to anchor. We will fish and swim in that spot all day. So, I usually only have to fill the boat up 2-3 times per year, one of them being after having people out to tube and ski. Now, if I take it out to one of the Great Lakes then it becomes a different story. Being able to leave it wide open for 30-40 minutes straight eats gas pretty quickly.

Congrats @AnimalYates on the new boat. Does it have the Alpha 1 gen 1 out drive? Let me know if you have any issues. (I also think that I have the Mercruiser Alpha1 manual in pdf form that I can email you, it covers the MR, R, Alpha1, and Alpha1 SS models) I have been inside of one of them too many times. I completely rebuilt mine a year ago. If you don't know when the last time the water impeller inside the lower unit was replaced then I suggest you do that right away. They get brittle and rot out. Then pieces can break off and plug water jackets. It is around a $35 kit. They suggest that you replace it every year.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Where do you guys get your Gas? My father and I sold our 23ft Crownline that we had on the Hudson for many years Our 3rd boat. dockage fees $8000 a season, Gas about $5.00-$5.50 per gal on the Hudson and this is in the upper parts about 20 miles north of NYC..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Heh, @Pikey, it's definitely your usage. In my youth (and long before my back injury) I'd ski the entirety of an 18mi lake in western PA, myself ... in addition to tubing and slalom ski course runs. That was just me, and there were usually a total of 4 of us like that, on board. Put another way, the boat would basically run from dawn until dusk, stopping only for fuel, food, beverages, or for people to do what nature requires of them after consuming food/beverages. It'd be common to fill up AT LEAST once a day, and the boat was only a 1974 MFG "Gypsy" 16 foot open bow (my grandfather's) with GM's 4cyl, 120ish HP Iron Duke under the bonnet.

We rebuilt the lower unit, once, due to a water pump failure. Not fun. I've never liked sterndrive (i.e. I/O propulsion) boats, since then ... but I'm biased. Pikey's spot on that maintaining it now before you plop it in the water is a solid idea.

@AnimalYates, I DO hope you enjoy the heck out of your new toy, whether spendy or not. Boating is a blast and there's just something about being on the water that makes the expense 'worth it'.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 05-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Depending on which prop Im running I have been able to get a full day of water play with 1 tank of fuel.
    Depending on lake conditions, amount of persons on the boat, and whether Im mostly cruizing or pulling ski's/tubes, I switch between three props a 14 1/4 x 19, 14 1/4 x 21, or a 14 1/4 x 24, only a few degrees change between each prop but it makes huge differences in performance and fuel use.

Congrats. It is your money and you can do what you want. Hope you enjoy it.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

B.O.A.T.= Break Out Another Thousand

Atleast that is what my friends say, cause I know nothing about boats lol. I do know it makes a summer day a lot better being out on the water. But seriously congrats, I am guessing that you have a lake near you to spend those weekends?
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by