GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Does this kind of place exist?

Hi everyone, Is there any place that will rent tools and space for you to work on your own cars in Socal near SGV? I'm looking for a place like that to make working on my car easier. I sometimes need specialty tools or run into a problem which always makes the work longer than I expected. It would be even better if they have a lift and other equipment. Something like a self-serve garage or DIY garage. Any info would be very helpful.

not to sure if buisnesses like that exist, but I do know a friend who wants to start a business like that, it seems like it could be genuinely successful, but there would be alot of risk in it as well
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

I don't know any specific locations but I do believe places like that exist.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Ok,after digging a little I actually found a place called " YourDream Garage " I went to check them out yesterday todo my brakes. I tell you what, this place is legit. I rented a bay with a liftfor an hour with no problems what so ever. This place has every tool you canimagine. From tire mounting machines to hand and air tools to high end scantools... The place is clean, well lit and easy to get to. If you are in oraround the Los Angeles area and need a place to work on your car, you cant beatthis place... I told the guys there I would spread the word for them so here isa shameless plug on their behalf.. Check them out @ urdreamgarage.com

Most Military bases have Auto Hobby shops set-up like this, their very popular with Military members, I know I've spent a good amount of time in them at every base I was ever stationed at.

A few years a go I put together a prospectus to gauge investment interest in a chain of shops like this, the profit margin was promising until you start insurance shopping, since no matter how many waivers you have users sign the operator maintains ultimate responsibility and that was the desl breaker, insurance cost's are outrageous.

i think with all the sue happy morons today, no one in their right mind would open and run a shop like that.....
    its the same reason high-schools no longer have autoshop classes.

your needs in insurance alone would just criple you....
    even with a full waiver... i srsly though about this for a while, but it cant be done. too many peopel that wouldnt know what they were doing.
    people spilling oil, venting AC systems, spillng fuel, coolant... god forbid you give some one a welder or torch...
    the eniornmental evaluations would sucks too...

to acutally make it work, you would need the rights and zoning of a salvage yard to offset the enviornental standards. the insurace of a shop to protect you from getting sued, and the legal protection of a highschool shop class waiver, to protect you from idiots that may crash into other idiots with money, or loan their car to someone else.
    then you would need several achers of land, 7-figures in tools and lifts, and... its just too much...
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

glad you found a place and think its a great idea. But I agree I could see the insurance costs being absolutely crippling, especially in the great state of Kommiefornia and its overly sue happy people.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked over the website and I have to say the prices seem to be very good
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    i think with all the sue happy morons today, no one in their right mind would open and run a shop like that.....
    its the same reason high-schools no longer have autoshop classes.

your needs in insurance alone would just criple you....
    even with a full waiver... i srsly though about this for a while, but it cant be done. too many peopel that wouldnt know what they were doing.
    people spilling oil, venting AC systems, spillng fuel, coolant... god forbid you give some one a welder or torch...
    the eniornmental evaluations would sucks too...

to acutally make it work, you would need the rights and zoning of a salvage yard to offset the enviornental standards. the insurace of a shop to protect you from getting sued, and the legal protection of a highschool shop class waiver, to protect you from idiots that may crash into other idiots with money, or loan their car to someone else.
    then you would need several achers of land, 7-figures in tools and lifts, and... its just too much...
    I heard this is very popular in Europe and Japan. Can't believe that people do everything for money and even willing to kill such a useful spot for others who would need them.