GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default CAI on 2500 with throttle body spacer setup.

I have a 2002 2500 GMC and I am looking to put a CAI on my truck. I have a throttle body spacer. Any one out there with this kind of setup. If so what brand and did you have to modify anything to get it to fit. I know there isn't much space between the throttle body and the fan shroud. I found a couple but they say wont fit with throttle body spacer. Any pics would be cool too. Thanks for any info.
    02GMC2500 4X4 extcab.Kenda Mud tires.3"Magnaflow true dual Exhaust.throttle body spacer with K&N air filter.Hypertech programmer.White LED dash lights.LED back up lights and marker lights.LED cab lights.LED interior lights.6000k HID conversion lows, with high/low conversion.Installed Center Console

Wont fit because it hits the fan shroud. You can trim it and i have seen many people do it. I personally dont think they do much but if you already have it go for it.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Yeah I was thinking I would have to trim the fan shroud. I guess I really want to get rid of that ugly piece of plastic from the air filter to the throttle body. I dont know why they put that bulky crap in there.

Quote Originally Posted by RAV52202 View Post
    I have a 2002 2500 GMC and I am looking to put a CAI on my truck. I have a throttle body spacer. Any one out there with this kind of setup. If so what brand and did you have to modify anything to get it to fit. I know there isn't much space between the throttle body and the fan shroud. I found a couple but they say wont fit with throttle body spacer. Any pics would be cool too. Thanks for any info.
    Throttle body spacers are a complete waste of money unless you like the whistle sound. As far as a CAI, just get an MIT from Airaid, the air filter housing is already a cold air type.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Legend

Yeah I was thinking I would have to trim the fan shroud. I guess I really want to get rid of that ugly piece of plastic from the air filter to the throttle body. I dont know why they put that bulky crap in there.
    If your from Maine this is a waste of money and time. also in the winter trouble.

now if you live in the phoenix AZ area this will help when the temps go above 100 deg 4-5 months of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Throttle body spacers are a complete waste of money unless you like the whistle sound. As far as a CAI, just get an MIT from Airaid, the air filter housing is already a cold air type.
    The throttle body spacer was on it when I bought it. Dont know if it makes a difference or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    If your from Maine this is a waste of money and time. also in the winter trouble.

now if you live in the phoenix AZ area this will help when the temps go above 100 deg 4-5 months of the year.
    I had one on one of my other trucks and it seemed to work. Or at least sounded good. I will check into the MIT that stchman talked about. Thanks for the input.

I ran a K&N 77 series full CAI with a throttle body spacer and everything fit just fine... didn't have to modify anything, just followed the installation instructions to the T.

I have since removed the throttle body spacer because it was so annoying.. I even had people asking me all the time what was wrong with my truck. I didn't see any performance gains/losses with it either. So basically all it does it make your truck whistle.

Pic of my setup below.. you can't see the TBS but it's there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K and N.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	52173
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

Nice looking setup. It is different from mine though. I have a 2002 with clutch fan. so I dont have the room you do. Thanks for the info and pics though. Nice truck.

The throttle body spacer was on it when I bought it. Dont know if it makes a difference or not.
    Since it's in the way, take it off and sell it on ebay. That's my advice. Throttle body spacers do absolutely zero on your type of intake.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my MIT for my Silverado. Sounds good at WOT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121213_213836.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	52174

Yes TB Spacers are a waste of metal unless it has nitrous fittings built into it :D

The airraid MIT tube is the best choice with the stock air box and a quality filter. it out performs all the "Cold Air Kits" on a stock engine.
    Black Bear Performance tested them on a dyno and that was his findings.

You will see better gains goin to Electric Fans and gain room for your Airraid MIT tube.
    -Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by