GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by 2011laserblue View Post
    Looks good man! Like the cleared headlights -- I want to do it to mine. From what I understand you have to literally cut the light open? Scares the hell out of me. Is it as bad as it seems? Everything flows really well. Will look a lot better without the monster caps lol.
    Thank ya. And yea I used a small dremel wheel to do mine. Wasn't too bad. I'm very very iffy on all these mods but it did well but I'm going to go a different route. And yes I'm ready to get those caps gone asap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Dont cut the lights open!!! you can put them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 230degrees and pull the lense off. Ive done this and it works.. then get some thin butyle tape to put them back together. Ive explained some of this in my NNBS headlight mod thread.

Yes the cleared headlights definitely are nicer.. Are you going to use swichback led signals or just an amber bulb?
    I was going to try the oven trick but I didn't want to stick them in our new oven and have a mishap. And yea I'm going to do switchbacks as soon as I get around to it. I have them on my shelf for now waiting for mid riding season when my shop isn't full with customer's atvs. I'm ready for it though!
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmanh5 View Post
    Thank ya. And yea I used a small dremel wheel to do mine. Wasn't too bad. I'm very very iffy on all these mods but it did well but I'm going to go a different route. And yes I'm ready to get those caps gone asap.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to try the oven trick but I didn't want to stick them in our new oven and have a mishap. And yea I'm going to do switchbacks as soon as I get around to it. I have them on my shelf for now waiting for mid riding season when my shop isn't full with customer's atvs. I'm ready for it though!
    That seems to be the standard method. I suppose I'll give it a try
    If I screw it up, I know a place where I can get GM parts at cost lol

I put mine in the oven and kept an eye on them.. I actually held them in my arms(long sleeve shirt) with no gloves on and pulled the lense off. with the oven at 220-230 the headlight actually only gets to about 175 degrees.. Just make sure the oven is accurate with what temp you set it at.. Ive heard of the mis-haps are from inaccurate temps.. The headlight needs to get to almost 265 to start melting. After using the oven I would never cut them open like the Youtube video shows... Now foglights are another story.. I had to dremel cut them open..

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by 2011laserblue View Post
    That seems to be the standard method. I suppose I'll give it a try
    If I screw it up, I know a place where I can get GM parts at cost lol
    Which ever way you do it whether it be cutting or Pantom's way it will work out. If you cut them make sure to cut close to how Phil does them in the video and stay on the casing. One tip when gluing them back together is to use the best silicon you can buy. I used windshield urethane on mine just trying them. It seals off well and pretty much never going to fall off. When wanting to make a nice clean bead around the lenses take a rubber glove and mix water and alcohol in a spray bottle and spray it on your finger every so often to make a nice pretty smooth bead.

- - - Updated - - -

I put mine in the oven and kept an eye on them.. I actually held them in my arms(long sleeve shirt) with no gloves on and pulled the lense off. with the oven at 220-230 the headlight actually only gets to about 175 degrees.. Just make sure the oven is accurate with what temp you set it at.. Ive heard of the mis-haps are from inaccurate temps.. The headlight needs to get to almost 265 to start melting. After using the oven I would never cut them open like the Youtube video shows... Now foglights are another story.. I had to dremel cut them open..
    That's one reason why I didn't trust this oven yet. Only cooked three meals in it and it's hotter than what it shows on the read out. My luck they would look like a Salvador Dali painting... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	58099

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmanh5 View Post
    My luck they would look like a Salvador Dali painting... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	58099
    Ha... yeah that wouldnt be good... I had my infared thermometer checking it every few minutes.. I was worried but determined also.. I wanted to reseal mine with something that I could get back apart if I had too.. since I put color changing halos in mine if they were to ever need repair back in the oven with it..

Ha... yeah that wouldnt be good... I had my infared thermometer checking it every few minutes.. I was worried but determined also.. I wanted to reseal mine with something that I could get back apart if I had too.. since I put color changing halos in mine if they were to ever need repair back in the oven with it..
    True. I believe when I got to do something different I'm starting all over again with new ones since these have speckles in some areas of the lenses. I wanted to try some black chrome in them but unsure how well that would hold up or look.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123