GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default I-5 Bridge north of Seattle WA Collapses - Mount Vernon Bridge

Mount Vernon Bridge Collapse MapBridge collapse in Washington State caused by 18-wheeler truck hitting span, authorities say
    Wow, I used to live up there and have been over this bridge at least 200 times going from Seattle-area to either the Bellingham or Vancouver areas, and this really is surprising that it was able to collapse so quickly like that.

They're going to have to divert traffic to the other lane or a secondary road for a long time to get around this. Just shocking that it could have gone down that easily though, this is going to a major hit to travel and traffic on I5 until they can get it fixed.

Here's the story from Fox News

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. – A truck carrying an oversize load struck a bridge on the major thoroughfare between Seattle and Canada, sending a section of the span and two vehicles into the Skagit River below, though all three occupants suffered only minor injuries.

It happened about 7 p.m. Thursday on the four-lane Interstate 5 bridge near Mount Vernon, about 60 miles north of Seattle, and disrupted travel in both directions.

Initially, it wasn't clear if the bridge just gave way on its own. But at an overnight news conference, Washington State Patrol Chief John Batiste blamed it on a tractor-trailer carrying a tall load that hit an upper part of the span.

"For reasons unknown at this point in time, the semi struck the overhead of the bridge causing the collapse," he said.

The truck made it off the bridge and the driver remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/24...#ixzz2UDvnDH13

Last edited by Steve; 05-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

That should be interesting to see how they are going to reroute traffic since it took out the bride in both directions.
    I have been up there also, I used to live in Portland and covered both OR and WA for work.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

This is the first I've seen the pics.. I was on the road all night and heard about it on the radio.. WOW!!!
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X