GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default electric fan - mechanical replacement

has anyone gotten an electric fan to replace the mechanical clutch fan on their truck?
    by deleting the fan you gain more HP than a K&N cold air intake.
    and the engine revs up quicker/smoother

what have you bought? how do you like it?

i did put in a Lincoln mark VIII fan for a while, but then it burned out lol
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

ls1 dual fan setup, works great!
    still have yet to actually get it tuned though...
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

I'm running Flex-a-Lite (P/N 282) electric fans with the on-temp set to the lowest setting possible. I love them, as they're on when the AC is on, rendering ice cold AC even when at a dead stop. Aside from that they really don't come on much while driving (and tend to be on mostly when at slower speeds) -- which is likely due to having upgraded my radiator from the 28" to the alternate 34" size (which was a pre-requisite to use these fans).

My one complaint (which is not the fault of the fans or their controller) is that the AC system will cycle on/off momentarily when the climate control system is in automatic mode -- even when it's not needed. This will spin the fans up and then cut them off for no good reason. Thus, in winter months I'll turn the climate control system to auto mode and then turn off the AC (which leaves the climate control system still in automatic mode) to avoid this cycling. Somewhat annoying, but a very minor nuissance.

I should also say these fans have a pretty hefty power draw ... but I already had the upgraded alternator and electrical system to support them.

I run a Taurus electric wired through a Flexi fan temp system with a water crossing cutt off switch for the radiator, on the trans, powersteering, and t case I use an 8" 12v equipment cooling fan from a Fruehoff semi cold trailet, I have that one wired through a reostat switch, I have a temp sensor sandwhiched between the coolers.

i was thinking of wiring in a manual switch for this 3000 cfm fan i found.
    its 16" and will fit in the stock fan shroud after i fab up some mounting brackets.
    will i need something special besides a fuse to wire this up? it only draws 10 ams...

Personally I prefer to wire items through a relay which leaves you only running low amp signal wires through the firewall to the interior.

I cant find the corect relay though
    they all include a temp. unit. and i dont want to mess with that.
    i just want a simple on-off switch relay... ill try calling summit's help later this week.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

in my opinion, you should just throw on a flex-a-lite. you can get em from jegs or summit for around $40 i think it was for mine. it flattens out and higher rpm so you have very little drag and they cool just fine. only problem i ever heard about them is them falling apart but i never had that problem and if i couldnt break it, its a damn good product lol. best part about it: NO WIRES :D

5.7L 350| .420 Cam | Bored 0.030 | Edelbrock intake manifold | 600 Cfm Edelbrock Carburetor | Long tube headers | Shift kit | Chrome dress up kit | Flowmaster 40's exhaust | Edelbrock heads | Custom paint
    SOLD

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

HONORARY CANUCK

Here's a link to my Mark VIII fan install http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-1991-Suburban . It's not entirely completed yet, but I'm driving it with a pair of 75 amp relays. It will ordinarily run in low speed when the engine temps need the fan and will run in high whenever I have the A/C on to provide max cooling.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast