GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4squared View Post
    in my opinion, you should just throw on a flex-a-lite. you can get em from jegs or summit for around $40 i think it was for mine. it flattens out and higher rpm so you have very little drag and they cool just fine. only problem i ever heard about them is them falling apart but i never had that problem and if i couldnt break it, its a damn good product lol. best part about it: NO WIRES :D
    40 dollars? Heh, I wish my Flex-a-lites had been that cheap!

Hes just changing out the belt driven fan blades on the truck for flexi alukinium blades and leaving the belt drive.
    And he did point out a huge issue with the aluminium blades, they develop fatigue cracks at the rivets and throw fan blades. Dont know of anyone injured this way but I have seen more than 1 fan shroud tore up.

Ahh that makes more sense. I don't like the sound of fatique damage, though...

yeah, im gonna get a brand-new 3,000 CFM 16" fan from summit, and somehow attatch it inside the stock 2 piece fan shrowd...

i did the same thing with my big ford lincoln mark VIII fan i had. worked great untill it seized.... but i suspect thats because i didnt use a relay, i just used heavy guage wire direct from the battery.

but you do gain HP, MPG, and lower operating temps.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    yeah, im gonna get a brand-new 3,000 CFM 16" fan from summit, and somehow attatch it inside the stock 2 piece fan shrowd...

i did the same thing with my big ford lincoln mark VIII fan i had. worked great untill it seized.... but i suspect thats because i didnt use a relay, i just used heavy guage wire direct from the battery.

but you do gain HP, MPG, and lower operating temps.
    How were you controlling when the Mark VIII fan came on and off without a relay?
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Hes just changing out the belt driven fan blades on the truck for flexi alukinium blades and leaving the belt drive.
    And he did point out a huge issue with the aluminium blades, they develop fatigue cracks at the rivets and throw fan blades. Dont know of anyone injured this way but I have seen more than 1 fan shroud tore up.

yep. sry lol i suppose i was a bit vague

so i tried to find my pics of my fans but they seem to be gone from my computer and i lost my ipod that i took them with...

looked kinda like this guy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fan.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	52613
    Last edited by 4x4squared; 06-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.

5.7L 350| .420 Cam | Bored 0.030 | Edelbrock intake manifold | 600 Cfm Edelbrock Carburetor | Long tube headers | Shift kit | Chrome dress up kit | Flowmaster 40's exhaust | Edelbrock heads | Custom paint
    SOLD

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

HONORARY CANUCK

Yep, watch the rivet holes where it mounts to the base, thats where they fail.
    My understanding is their failure is directly related to how well they do moving air, the blades flatten out at high speed then at lower speed they curl back up, this constant stress on the metal causes the rivets to work loose then allows the metal to start cracking at the rivet holes.
    Like I said I've seen them tear up fan shrouds when they let loose, and I've seen a blade go through the hood of a vehicle once.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    How were you controlling when the Mark VIII fan came on and off without a relay?
    i had a heavy duty toggle swtich on the dash.
    just watched the temp to get it warm up faster, then kept it on driving around town

That might be why the fan failed. I've read those fans pull over 50 amps continuous on low speed and a lot more when they first turn on.

Just reading the thread title, my first thought was that you had the e-fans installed and were wanting to swap back to a mechanical fan and I was all "WWHAAAAATT????"
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!