GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 05 Trail Blazer problems at 50,000 miles

I'm new here...just getting acquainted. Found the site browsing tonight while our 05 Trail Blazer sits in the shop with possible major engine problems......maybe a "compression" problem? That's the first problem. Another is the loud whining the truck has been making the last week. One day, there was also a clunking noise coming from somewhere underneath.

Anyone else have similar problems? Anyone know where I can go to find answers?

Thanks.

please update what was wrong with your car and what was done to fix the problem.

I too am having the same issue with the high whinning noise, but NO knocking or lose of compression/power.

Does the high whinning noise that both of you are describing from your engines get louder and more high pitched as you increase RPM's? If so, you could have a bearing going out in your alternators, but more likely the problem the very common one on these rigs where the idler pulley has a bad bearing.

The idler pulley is black, plastic and has rounded edges and goes bad with some frequency it seems. Mine was bad when I picked it up at the dealer a few weekends ago - they replaced the alternator for me only to have the noise still present. Went from a $400 part to a $30 part really quickly.

Here is a photo of the pulley that I am talking about - it is the middle pulley - just under the alternator in the shot. You can pull the belt off this pulley - run it for a second and if the noise is gone - there is your problem.

Yes, the whining noise stays at all speeds. My girlfriend works for Power Auto Group and was able to get me an appointment tomorrow at noon under her employee discount, so I hope it is just the pulley and not cost me $$$ that I don't have.

Im glad to hear you got your problem fixed and for cheap also.

I will update my success story as soon as it gets fixed.

Thanks again for the update. Now I can go in the stealership talking like I know what the problem "could" be.

Quote Originally Posted by jbaniaga View Post
    Yes, the whining noise stays at all speeds. My girlfriend works for Power Auto Group and was able to get me an appointment tomorrow at noon under her employee discount, so I hope it is just the pulley and not cost me $$$ that I don't have.

Im glad to hear you got your problem fixed and for cheap also.

I will update my success story as soon as it gets fixed.

Thanks again for the update. Now I can go in the stealership talking like I know what the problem "could" be.
    Awesome, look forward to hearing what you find.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

could also be the alternator...