GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Ball joint replacement

My son just bought a 2000 Silveriado. We need to replace the upper and lower ball joints. I have never done this , any help would be helpful.

the uppers should be held in with rivets. You need to drill the rivets out or take the head off with an air chisel and beat the remaining part of the rivet out with a punch. The lowers should be pressed in. You need to rent a press and press them out. I may have them switched, the uppers may be pressed and the lowers riveted. I can't remember how they were on my 02 silverado.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

If its 4wd no rivets on the nbs trucks. You will need to rent a ball joint press and when you install the new ones the uppers are DIRECTIONAL! They have a mark on them that needs to face the wheel or they will snap off driving down the road.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Not sure about these answers...I did the uppers on my '01 4wd 1500 about six months ago, and the ball joints could not be pressed out. Rather than do all the drilling and beating, I just bought new upper control arms (with new ball joint installed, of course) at autozone for about $60 each. You can buy them cheaper online, I have seen them as low as $70 for two! They are pretty easy to install, just be sure to mark both cams and bolts in their current location so that when you install the new, you will be sure they go back where they were. You will still need to do a FE alignment, but marking them will get them close enough to drive the vehicle.

As for the lowers, they must be pressed out and pressed in. Some "universal" ball joint press tools will not work. I have the ball joints for mine in a box, and am just going to have a shop do that part, as I need to get an alignment anyway.

You gotta take tge snap rings out first. I replaced mine all 4 with moog in like 08 and they were like $230. If you get a whole arm i would only suggest moog.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

I know for sure the lowers are riveted in
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR