GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic

Default We have a problem

Recently had a junk yard transfer case put on my truck as I'm still in college as most of you know. Truck drove fine for a couple of days until I took it up to the mts (300 mile one way) to help my family do some upkeep work on our cabin. When I was getting ready to back down into the driveway, I shifted it into reverse and started to back up until I heard a slight bang and we came to a dead stop. After thinking I backed into a tree or pile of wood I moved forward and tried again. This time I could move in reverse but had a noticeable rattling sound. I was able to get the truck home but it acted up a couple of times at stop lights. Could this be the transfer case or the transmission like I am thinking?? All help would be appreciated!!
    Last edited by KyleZ71; 05-28-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Yikes. I can't help but I'll be watching this thread to learn from those who can/do.

Master Mechanic

Yeah, I was looking at rebuild kits such as this one (http://www.monstertrans.com/store/pr...03%252d06.html) and was thinking of ordering that and have the shop use that if it needs rebuilt. Anyone have there's rebuilt or replaced and have problems?

- - - Updated - - -

Bump (sorry but would like an opinion)

Jr. Mechanic

Could it be a stretched and jumping chain in the transfer case?
    2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

What do you mean by acting up?
    The issue could be t case or trans, possibly even u joints or axle it all depends on what you mean by acting up.
    Probably step one would be putting the truck on jacks at all 4 corners the put the trans in neutral and the t case in gear, high first, have someone roll the wheels while you listen to the t case. A stethescope or piece of metal tube btwn your ear and the t case will help you hear better. Roll the tire forwards and back.
    If you dont hear noise and/or feel increased resistance then fire the truck up and put it in gear, fwd and reverse. No need to rev the engine just let it idle, doing the same with the tube and listening to the trans and t case.
    Definately could be a chain or the chain tensioner malfunctioning.

Master Mechanic

I had the chain stretch before and was part of the reason why I had it replaced. On the way home I was sitting at a red light and went to move forward there was a pop and then some rattling before moving forward. Today I went to back up the driveway and there was loud grinding sound while it was moving. Also the shifts have been a little louder and more jerky (I do have the Corvette Servo). Thanks for the help guys. I might just take it back to the guy who installed my t case, great guy with better prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Was driving to my mom's this evening and went to pull away from a stop sign and the truck acted like it was in a low gear and pulled away so slow then randomly it popped into the correct gear and we started accelerating normally. Sounding more and more like the tranny if you ask me

Are you back in York or still in WB?

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Master Mechanic

I am home in York for the summer
    Last edited by KyleZ71; 05-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Master Mechanic

Last question I swear. I decided to get it rebuilt, and the place that rebuilds it uses transtar rebuild kits. Would you guys recommend the transtar or monster in a box (that I posted before).