GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I agree, I really don't like that plastic around the wheel wells either.
    That black plastic around the wheel well is hard to keep looking black. Doesn't take long and it turns gray. I was hoping Chevrolet was done with the cladding after the Avalanche.
    2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    That black plastic around the wheel well is hard to keep looking black. Doesn't take long and it turns gray. I was hoping Chevrolet was done with the cladding after the Avalanche.
    Only the 2014 Sierra has the dumb black plastic around the wheel wells, the 2014 Silverado does not (thankfully). At least from all the pictures I have seen.

I gather that dumb plastic around the wheel wells and cheezy ebay LEDs around the headlights makes the 2014 Sierra more "Professional Grade".

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I saw the Mythbusters one. I wonder if a bed cover helps to improve gas mileage at all, on the race trucks used in the NASCAR Camping World Series they sheet metal over the back of them.

Would have been interesting if they tried that in the wind tunnel as well.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1ATony View Post
    I saw the Mythbusters one. I wonder if a bed cover helps to improve gas mileage at all, on the race trucks used in the NASCAR Camping World Series they sheet metal over the back of them.

Would have been interesting if they tried that in the wind tunnel as well.

As someone else mentioned, I would bet that would depend on the cover and existing truck characteristics in the tunnel...if the wind already passes over the bed without turbulence, then adding a cover might be a wasted effort; a loose toneau flapping in the wind (my dad's truck comes to mind) might actually cause drag where as a hard toneau might not have as much drag, but weigh nearly 100 pounds (added weight negates fuel savings).

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeSilver02 View Post
    Mythbusters also came to the same conclusion. They even used a mesh tailgate and that gave them very slim but better mph numbers over a tailgate.
    This is what I was going to say. Mythbusters concluded that tailgate up results in better MPGs than tailgate down.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I would also like to see them move the smoke stream down. I want to see why there is a "mud flap" in front of the rear wheel and not behind. It has to be because of some effect on air flow around the tire.
    The mudflap is for when your stuck, have it in reverse and have your drivers door open and looking back that you dont cake the inside of your door and face with mudHad a friend do that and thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    This is what I was going to say. Mythbusters concluded that tailgate up results in better MPGs than tailgate down.
    And yet I still see many people drive around with their tailgate down.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Grrrrr, the OP in this thread is from TruckingTimes ... and Google Chrome flagged the entire Chevy Truck Talk forum because of the content in the ONE POST that was copied from that other website.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12