GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsboy87 View Post
    Hey guys new on here this is the first forum that i have been part of. I have a question about towing and wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problems that i am having with my truck. I have a 2008 chevy silverado regular cab with the 4.8l v8 and i am having a problem when i tow my boat. Now this isnt a big bay boat or anything its a 16' aluminum jon boat that might weigh 1600 lbs at the most. i have noticed that when i am crusing at 70mph at about 1800rpms the truck will down shift and the rpms shoots up to 3000 rpms and this is on flat highways around the houston texas area. i have also noticed that the transmition temp goes from about 165f to around 195f. Is this a major problem? When i bought the truck i didnt get the towing package could this be why i am having trouble also? and the truck does the same thing when it is empty going through the texas hill country. Thanks in advance
    Did your truck come with the towing package(cooler, hitch, wiring harness)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnettamb View Post
    How do yal know the temp of your transmissions?
    The transmission temp can be gotten from the DIC. Seeing as you have a 4.3L, I think you have a W/T and the DIC is there, you just need to get the DIC buttons.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

i do have a w/t but i dont know what the dic is
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

How do yal know the temp of your transmissions?
    My 2007 has the DIC panel (Driver Instrument Cluster) that displays information like tranny temp, and fuel range...

"War Eagle"

**stchman beat me to it ;)

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"

i do have a w/t but i dont know what the dic is
    The DIC stands for:

Driver Information Center

To enable the full function of the DIC, you'll need the DIC buttons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2013-Sl...19ae20&vxp=mtr

The DIC wiring is behind your dash when you pull off the cover, you just need to hook it up to the switches.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Final tally on tranny temp for my trip, when I went through Mt Rushmore, due to my inexperience of manually downshifting, I overused my brakes and thought I might go off a cliff...lol not really that bad but definitely had a few pucker moments. I reached temps of 206 with outside temps of 85-90 degrees.
    The next day when I was driving through the Rockies I manually downshifted every time I encountered a downhill segment, and actually saw my tranny temp decrease, and then rise again as I would climb the next segment. the highest temps I saw climbing were 212 in steady 90 degree temps. The last day was a scorcher with temps around 105-106 and going through the Mt Rainier area of WA my temps jumped to 221 on the worst climbs. Once again I manually downshifted on the downhill segments and the temps dropped a little.

If I were to do this trip again, I would seriously consider the all-wheel disc upgrade. My current brakes are also 6-7 years old never been reworked, but only have 40k miles on them. They seemed very inadequate pulling the trailer and bike through the mountains, until I got comfortable downshifting that is. I would also re-read the operator manual and know exactly what my manual shift points/speeds are.
    I hope my rambling on puts some perspective on tranny temps, and what to expect from your ride.

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"

6. Thanks JTWard thanked for this post
    Likes JTWard liked this post
    I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Thumbs up

Glad your trip was OK. I'd give your truck a gift of slotted discs and ceramic pads on the front end. Your temps are fine, my truck runs at about 200 degrees in the summer or winter, no difference, my other car (also a GM) will go to 210-215 degrees if it's 100 degrees outside with 75% humidity. so I wouldn't fret over you temps, You truck is running perfect. I am planning on the brake upgrade I mentioned come fall. When I'm towing in high temps I can feel my front brakes getting hot and slipping, so I'm going with better disc's and pads.
    Last edited by JTWard; 07-09-2013 at 04:33 AM.

8. Likes MoBillyAla liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MoBillyAla View Post
    Final tally on tranny temp for my trip, when I went through Mt Rushmore, due to my inexperience of manually downshifting, I overused my brakes and thought I might go off a cliff...lol not really that bad but definitely had a few pucker moments. I reached temps of 206 with outside temps of 85-90 degrees.
    The next day when I was driving through the Rockies I manually downshifted every time I encountered a downhill segment, and actually saw my tranny temp decrease, and then rise again as I would climb the next segment. the highest temps I saw climbing were 212 in steady 90 degree temps. The last day was a scorcher with temps around 105-106 and going through the Mt Rainier area of WA my temps jumped to 221 on the worst climbs. Once again I manually downshifted on the downhill segments and the temps dropped a little.

If I were to do this trip again, I would seriously consider the all-wheel disc upgrade. My current brakes are also 6-7 years old never been reworked, but only have 40k miles on them. They seemed very inadequate pulling the trailer and bike through the mountains, until I got comfortable downshifting that is. I would also re-read the operator manual and know exactly what my manual shift points/speeds are.
    I hope my rambling on puts some perspective on tranny temps, and what to expect from your ride.

Great Post! Like the detail ...Good info for folks looking to do what you did for the first time... Good Job!
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

10. Likes MoBillyAla liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    Glad your trip was OK. I'd give your truck a gift of slotted discs and ceramic pads on the front end.
    I agree, There are a lot of twisty up/downhill roads here in NW WA and I think my truck would feel much better with an upgrade like that with or without pulling a trailer. Still trying to get settled in my new house and pay off some moving expenses, but will start looking at getting some of this done soon.

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

They are a real upgrade for the front end of your truck. Most of your braking power is on the front wheels. The ceramic pads need to be broken in or cured after installing them, not complicated, but the ceramic pads give off very little dust, but the best thing about them is the hotter they get, the better they brake your trucks speed, No fade !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12