GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default flushing the cooling system. Any advise?

2000 K2500 7.4L
    Just replaced the intake gaskets, now I want to flush the cooling system and get rid of any left over Dexicool. How much coolant do I need? What flush do you recomend? Do I need to put in any additives with the green coolant? Thanks.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Indyandy View Post
    2000 K2500 7.4L
    Just replaced the intake gaskets, now I want to flush the cooling system and get rid of any left over Dexicool. How much coolant do I need? What flush do you recomend? Do I need to put in any additives with the green coolant? Thanks.
    the coolant to use is dexcool GM approved coolant . if you do replace the coolant with some other non GM approved dexcool coolant you must acid flush the system . then replace all the hoses flush out the heater core/ plastic tank. also to drain the engine completely is not easy to remove the drain plugs on the block.

I have used dexcool since 1996 and my 1996 and 2000 vehicles have no coolant issues. I do use distilled water and 65 % dexcool to 35 % distilled water . replace every 3-4 yrs.

after draining the radiator...
    remove the thermostat and upper hose from the radiator. point the hose from the thermostat, down.
    stick the hose in the radiator cap opening
    run the truck with the heater on full blast for around 5 min, untill water comming out of the engine is clean.
    also a good idea to CLR or scrub out the overflow bottle some how...
    then your basically done. just refill. i usually do at least 60/40 antifreeze/disstilled water
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the coolant to use is dexcool GM approved coolant . if you do replace the coolant with some other non GM approved dexcool coolant you must acid flush the system . then replace all the hoses flush out the heater core/ plastic tank. also to drain the engine completely is not easy to remove the drain plugs on the block.

I have used dexcool since 1996 and my 1996 and 2000 vehicles have no coolant issues. I do use distilled water and 65 % dexcool to 35 % distilled water . replace every 3-4 yrs.
    id do this. just running water through isnt going to clean it out

5.7L 350| .420 Cam | Bored 0.030 | Edelbrock intake manifold | 600 Cfm Edelbrock Carburetor | Long tube headers | Shift kit | Chrome dress up kit | Flowmaster 40's exhaust | Edelbrock heads | Custom paint
    SOLD

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

HONORARY CANUCK