GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default 06 5.3l camshaft swap.

    I searched the forum for threads on this but didn't find any. I'm looking to do a cam swap on my 06 5.3l chevy. I've gotten a diablew custom tune and long tube headers with y pipe and flowmaster exhaust along with a CAI. I average almost 20 mpgs not worried about it though. And Im pretty sure I've got the 3.73 gear ratio. Soon to be 4.10

    With all of this I still want more power. I'm looking for a more mild cam not anything crazy. Just had some questions, like would I need better springs? Rockers, lifters too? Should I get a better timing chain and pulleys too? Anything else lol? I just don't want to cut any corners or anything like that. Any help, pointers, suggestions, ideas very much appreciated.

    Of coarse after I post the thread, I see "similar posts" sorry guys.
    Last edited by chevy03; 05-29-2013 at 11:32 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Does your 5.3 have AFM?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    Does your 5.3 have AFM?

    I can look at me AVG fuel economy in my cluster but nothing else. Don't trucks with AFM let you see instant fuel economy and you can see when it switches from v8 to v4? If so I don't have it.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chevy03 View Post
    I can look at me AVG fuel economy in my cluster but nothing else. Don't trucks with AFM let you see instant fuel economy and you can see when it switches from v8 to v4? If so I don't have it.
    I don't know if all AFM trucks have the instant or not. What's the RPO code for your engine? Since it is an 06, it's probably not got AFM, but it's worth being sure, as installing a larger cam unknowingly in an AFM engine coudl result in critical damage.

    If it's not AFM, it's a lot easier to just swap something else in. How mild do you want it? Or how crazy do you want it?

  5. #5

    Default

    I've been looking at comp cams.

    http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=TRIPWERXTE

    something like that. I think those will fit... But something along that line. But I thought if you went over .500 lift you"ll need new better springs. If you have any other suggestions for a cam, please let me know. Even if it is a little bigger.

    Im tired of driving a slug.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chevy03 View Post
    I've been looking at comp cams.

    http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=TRIPWERXTE

    something like that. I think those will fit... But something along that line. But I thought if you went over .500 lift you"ll need new better springs. If you have any other suggestions for a cam, please let me know. Even if it is a little bigger.

    Im tired of driving a slug.
    What's the RPO code for your engine? Aside from knowing if you do or don't have AFM, it's also important to know if you have the 3-bolt or a single-bolt cam. GM changed to a single-bolt in later years, and between 05-07 a lot of the engines are a mix of Gen III and Gen IV.

    I'm pretty sure the stock springs can handle a little more than 0.500 lift. Some of the stock cams are over 0.500 lift on intake. The springs would be good to upgrade, along with lifters, though. They're not a huge cost, and easy enough to change. Just don't drop them in the cylinder when you're swapping them out. Swapping lifters will require pullling the heads though, so if you're going to swap both, it's better to do both at the same time, and will make it slightly easier to do the springs.

    I'd get rid of the long tube headers, and put in a nice set of shorties though. Long tubes are better for higher end power, but it's a truck, so it's not really helping you much. And shorties aren't going to be a significant drain in the RPM range of the engine. Moving a 6000 lb truck fast means you need to build some low end torque.

    I'd go with:

    - Intake tube swap (AirRaid Jr. MIT, custom, or a good CAI setup)
    - Shorties
    - 2.5"-2.75" cat-back exhaust (definitely no larger than 3" though)
    - Trans build
    - Cam to optimize lower end torque, flattening around 1500-5500 RPM
    - LS6 or stronger springs, and lifters
    - Tune to cut back TQ mgmt, and optimize for other mods.

  7. #7

    Default

    Your 5.3 should have a 190/191 .466"/.457" 114 LSA cam in it.. id suggest goin to the 212/218 or 214/220 on a 112-113lsa with your long tube headers.

    IF you dont want to swap valve springs, dont do a cam.


    A good budget cam is a 2002+ LS6 cam. good all around power gain.
    its a 204/218 .551".547" 117
    and you can run LS6 springs which usually run $45-80
    -Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonnieselman View Post
    Your 5.3 should have a 190/191 .466"/.457" 114 LSA cam in it.. id suggest goin to the 212/218 or 214/220 on a 112-113lsa with your long tube headers.

    IF you dont want to swap valve springs, dont do a cam.
    A good budget cam is a 2002+ LS6 cam. good all around power gain.
    its a 204/218 .551".547" 117
    and you can run LS6 springs which usually run $45-80

    x2 you can run up to a tr220 cam with ls6 springs but you'll want a converter to see the full gains of the cam. id do the ls6 cam or the 212/218 cam on low lift. peferably the 2nd on if you want more low end power.
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Jr. Apprentice accesshero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Jamaica West Indies
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Hay guys how do I correct a jumped timing. My timing chain jumped and I am now replacing it with a timing kit as the gears and guides are worn . But I need to know how to set back the timing to where it should me. HELP!!!
    2005 GMC Canyon

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by accesshero View Post
    Hay guys how do I correct a jumped timing. My timing chain jumped and I am now replacing it with a timing kit as the gears and guides are worn . But I need to know how to set back the timing to where it should me. HELP!!!
    On a LSx engine you line your cam sprocket at 6 oclock and your crank sprocket at 12 oclock. If its a I5 or I4 in your canyon then I have no clue. Never been inside one of those engines.
    -Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Camshaft
    By JTx9 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM
  2. Performance camshaft
    By drumm14 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM
  3. Looking for new camshaft.
    By ActionDan in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
  4. camshaft
    By heavychevyscts in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 03:51 PM
  5. camshaft
    By msm1889 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •