GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2010 Silverado 14000 miles needs rear main seal?

Truck has had minor leak, thought it may have been the pan gasket leaking on the passenger side by the starter motor. Took it to Chevy dealer today and diagnosied it as a bad rear seal, is this a known problem, and what could make it go in 14000 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by hall1836 View Post
    Truck has had minor leak, thought it may have been the pan gasket leaking on the passenger side by the starter motor. Took it to Chevy dealer today and diagnosied it as a bad rear seal, is this a known problem, and what could make it go in 14000 miles?
    Sorry to hear that you have a low mileage truck with a leaky rear main seal? How much is it leaking?
    I have 20k miles on mine and I cannot see a trace of engine oil wetness in the bellhousing bottom at all. Maybe a bad batch of rear main seal?
    I do not think the rear seal on your low mileage truck will cut a groove on the crank journal at that mileage. This usually occurs when the seal gets hard over time (years) and it cuts a groove on the crank journal causing the oil leakage.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 25k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 176k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

14K is REALLY low miles on a 3 year old truck.

I assume you have the 5.3L engine. No, the 5.3L engine is not usually a leaker. My 2008 Silverado was as dry as a bone underneath when I traded it in with 73K miles.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Legend

my guess they are wrong. the oil pan is a known problem on most all leaks in this area. I have never heard or seen a rear main leak on these engines.

the oil pan seal and the oil pan position is critical on assembly it is a manufacturing screw up ..

most times the rear main leaks because the engine is old the main bearings are worn so the hardened seal leaks slightly..

Thanks for the response's, my feelings were pan gasket, just got a call from the dealer that it was in fact main seal will pick it up tomorrow. Will continue to keep an eye on the area of the pan gasket.

Former Member

It happens, I would not worry about it. With the volume of parts manufacturers get, they are bound to get a bad one once in a while.

On my last truck the front crank seal leaked within a couple hundred miles of getting it home. The Dodge dealer replaced it and it never seeped a drip for the next 275k miles.