GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Yep your in one of the province that allows it, but like you said the first trailer has to be a goose neck or 5th wheel. Theres a handful that require this combo.

Former Member

I used to see it quite a bit of multiple trailers being towed in my cross country travels...mostly hotshotters delivering new trailers. It must vary by state (think intrastate, versus interstate) because I've seen guys going down around OK and TX with up to four or five bumper pull trailers all connected together. Every now and again you see a guy with an RV trailer, and boat or small utility trailer/quad going down the road.

I think your main focal point would be making sure you have tight couplers with as little slop in them as possible...to keep the wiggle down to a minimum.

Wouldn't two trailers be called "doubles" and three trailers be called "triples"? That's how they are designated in the CDL world...I used to have the doubles/triples endorsement.

Most states only allow 2 trailers, but correctly speaking yes it should be doubles but is called tripple tow in state regulations, possibly their including the tow vehicle.
    Heres a listing of states allowing:
    Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Indianna, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Lousiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennassee, Texas, Utah, Wyoming, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia,

With fifth wheel as first trailer only:
    Arizona, Illinois, Minnesota, Michegan, Wisconsin, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Some states list only as "Multiple Trailers" not to exceed a certain length (usually 65 or 70 depending on state) and some list specifically 2 trailers, each state has specific rules on brakes, hitchs, lights, etc.
    Texas lists 2 trailers, but I routinely see Mexican car trains running down the highway with 2, 3, and a few times 4 cars in tow, For anyone driving in Texas these are a hazard to avoid since the cars being towed are normally auction yard wrecks that may or may not have working lights and be running Mexican insurance (if any insurance at all) that is very hard to collect payment for any damages incurred.

Im using a Bulldog coupler on my boat trailer and just got permission to swap one on the camper, their slightly more expensive, a bit stiff, but they normally have little or no slop.

Tested and fine tuned the trailers and tow vehicle this weekend.
    My neighbor is a Texas DPS Trooper specializing in Vehicle Safety Enforcement, I got her to roadtest and conduct a courtesy inspection on everything. After a full and indepth 2.5 hr inspection she made 3 recomendations that wouldnt be considered ticketable but could enhance safety.
    Left side boat trailer tire had old sidewall damage, not bad just scuffing, replaced both tires since there 10yrs old and starting to show age.
    Added more reflectors on the sides and back of both trailers for better night visibility.
    And a new Tekonsha P3 multi channel porportional brake controller that controlls up to 4 braking axles.
    Since I live on the edge of a rural area we took the rig out on a few roads to get the feel of towing, and since I was off on my measurements and had lots of room to spare we hooked a 10' utillity trailer between the boat and trailer to get the effect of pulling a "full load".
    No problems pulling or turning, just have to make sure you watch the inside since the trailer will easily cut the inside but if driven wide will nicely follow an outside line.

Just saw this again about a week ago.

HD truck towing a large trailer ... towing about a 16' ski boat.

My guess was maybe 40' total trailer length. Probably more.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

used to tow strings of 5 trailers (my tug + 5 trailers) at the airport. I'm the only one that could back up all 5 without jack-kniving the trailers. Concentration is key, and remember that your corrections are the opposite of opposite (how ever many trailers your towing makes this up) just take your time and dont make sudden movements.

Definitely let us know how it works out and share the experience and photos of the setup
    Chuckie!!!

Jr. Engineer

Watch your weights!!! Don't let your last trailer out weigh your center trailer,,,and have some weight in your tow truck!! NY doubles, always heavy in the front!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zuki82 View Post
    Watch your weights!!! Don't let your last trailer out weigh your center trailer,,,and have some weight in your tow truck!! NY doubles, always heavy in the front!!!!
    i don't suppose you could elaborate the reasoning of this for clarification?

I can explain the reason for this after towing different trailer combinations all summer, lighter trailer in the center under the right circumstances cause real bad swaying of the larger back trailer at higher speeds.
    Weight in the truck is basic trailering sense so the truck doesnt get pushed around.
    Kind of the reason you dont tow larger loads or trailers with a Jeep, while it may have the horsepower needed to do the job, it lacks the weight to stop from being pushed around by the load.

11. Likes zuki82 liked this post