GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default what is the secret to installing sway bar links?

2000 K2500 7.4L
    I finally got the old ones off, but I cannot get enough bolt thread on the new ones to go on. The bolts are the same length. I loosened the sway bar brackets. The frame is jacked up, but I cannot compress the lower a arm and stabilizer bar together. What am I doing wrong? it looks like the new bushings are holding me up. When I took the old links off there was 1 inch of thread showing past the nut. This has to be compressed, but how?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Indyandy View Post
    2000 K2500 7.4L
    I finally got the old ones off, but I cannot get enough bolt thread on the new ones to go on. The bolts are the same length. I loosened the sway bar brackets. The frame is jacked up, but I cannot compress the lower a arm and stabilizer bar together. What am I doing wrong? it looks like the new bushings are holding me up. When I took the old links off there was 1 inch of thread showing past the nut. This has to be compressed, but how?
    my guess is you have the wrong bushings. if the bushings are for a smaller DIA. bar then , this will occur. this is a common problem with these parts.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Did you use longer spacers between the bushings? Put the truck back on the ground and the A Arms should be higher to match the bolts. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0279 (1).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	52518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0277.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	52519
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

No, spacers and bushing were the same. I finally tightened and retorqued the sway bar clamps to get that done. Let the truck down and installed the nuts without the last washer. Tighten the nuts to draw it down. Then used a rachet strap around the sway bar and lower control arm to hold it in place while I removed the nut and installed the washer. Reinstall the nut and torqued down.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

That will work....