GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nasty MA Road Repair

So I am off camping in the small town of Washington, Ma. Upon arrival the public road leading in is undergoing repair. What a terrible ride in...

Had to drive a couple miles listening to the sound of hundreds of small pebbles flying into the side of the truck. I could even see them going past the passenger side window through the air. Well what really ticks me off is now I am here and the truck plastered with small strands of tar all down the sides. Im pretty peeved that the town would feel it is acceptable to leave the road like this over a 90degree weekend.

Someone was telling me that if I contact city hall and complain about it they will most likely have me drop the truck at a detail shop and will foot the bill. I'm really hoping this is the case because I can see it easily taking hours to get this crap off. I'll post some pics of it when I get home tonight.

so what do you guys think? Would you call to complain as well or just suck it up and spend a few hours scrubbing tar off?
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Get to work!!! A little artex will take it off then some Good wax.. But you could try the Town route first....

Post up them pics when you are ready...

Could have been worse It could have been that Yellow line paint..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I'm not prone to trying to stick taxpayers with an expense that isn't the taxpayers' fault. This is the city's road/repair organization's fault, not the taxpayers' fault ... and if you stick taxpayers' with the bill for it then you'll just leave the city LESS money to work with than it had -before- it began -- meanwhile the same organization responsible for the problem keeps on making a mess for others.

If you're going to take time to impact the city, perhaps do so in a positive way that affects positive change? I feel that you SHOULD contact the city ... but that you should do it in a manner that causes the source of the problem to be underscored ... such that they don't do it again. One way to do that might be to turn down any offer to address the issue for you by a detail shop, and instead request that the person or persons responsible for the problem be called upon to set up a community car wash on their days off ... so that they are held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof) in a way that gives back to the community (not just you) ... and costs the taxpayers' nothing.

That sends a rather sterm message while doing something for everyone in that locality. It teaches a lesson to those responsible, too. It may or may not get traction, but it costs you nothing but a little bit of time to try. And to top it off, it avoids the greedy, taker-mentality that so many people, today, have when it comes to government-funded (i.e. taxpayer-funded) things. (Put another way, it avoids the mentality that helped drive our federal deficit to where it currently sits.)

But that's my opinion...

If they posted a road use liability Travel at your own risk sign then they are off the hook for damages i do believe. Just my two cents
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    So I am off camping in the small town of Washington, Ma. Upon arrival the public road leading in is undergoing repair. What a terrible ride in...

Had to drive a couple miles listening to the sound of hundreds of small pebbles flying into the side of the truck. I could even see them going past the passenger side window through the air. Well what really ticks me off is now I am here and the truck plastered with small strands of tar all down the sides. Im pretty peeved that the town would feel it is acceptable to leave the road like this over a 90degree weekend.

Someone was telling me that if I contact city hall and complain about it they will most likely have me drop the truck at a detail shop and will foot the bill. I'm really hoping this is the case because I can see it easily taking hours to get this crap off. I'll post some pics of it when I get home tonight.

so what do you guys think? Would you call to complain as well or just suck it up and spend a few hours scrubbing tar off?
    since the road was under going repairs I doubt you will get anywhere with this. My town has signage at the roads entering drive at your own risk. pot holes on these heavy traveled roads are never properly repaired .

I have removed asphalt on my vehicles with low odor mineral spirits. I would brush on the product and very carefully wipe the surface down with no forceful wiping. When done , give the vehicle a good washing and wax .

I drive a lot. Every summer the sides of the truck get covered with tiny drops of road tar. City street repair, 2 lane repair or 4 lane repair; they all get rebuilt, or repaired, in the summer months. A little kerosene on a a rag, followed by a good washing will fix the problem. I need to do this at least twice a year.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Wow

It is close to IMPOSSIBLE to get money out of cities-even when it IS their fault.
    Around here-New Orleans and suburbs-we have terrible potholes-
    probably our crummy sinking contracting soil-and lotta big trucks pounding them apart
    When cars are damaged by the potholes-it is REALLY REALLY hard to get them to replace tires fix suspensions replace wheels.

Maybe Mass is different? When I was there-mid late 50's visiting cousins in Fall River(beat up mill town back then)
    the roads were generally not bad-better than NOLA for sure??

Good luck-but getting them to pay for detailing-would be a LONG SHOT here.
    Not my $$ so I hope they come thru for you-but I would get out the car wash rags bucket wax etc.
    Charlie

You are right-that tar-will take HOURS AND HOURS to remove-and you'll need tar remover spray-HOURS- 5 HRS or so-done it-takes forever!
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Thanks for the responses. Some good suggestions coming through. I guess they had done the same thing last year towards the end of the season. I like the idea of the public car wash by the one who made the call to leave it in that condition. I'm still a bit torn on what to do. Part of me says its not worth it and part says it is.

I'm thinking I will most likely just take care of it myself and save the back and forth headache with the town. Luckily I found a little dirt road out of the place and didn't have to go through as much leaving for home.

What bugs me the most is...
    There was supposed to be a car show up there this month, but now will not happen. This is too bad, with the place being a bit slow already, I'm sure the owners of the campground could have used the $12 per car entry as well as other monies it would bring in from food sales, site rentals, etc.

it was tough to get the camera to focus on it, but it is just little strands like this all over from the windows down on each side. Barely touch it and it just smudges like crazy. these pics are just 4 different spots along one side, there is plenty more between all this plus the other side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by FrigginNoodles; 06-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Some good suggestions coming through. I guess they had done the same thing last year towards the end of the season. I like the idea of the public car wash by the one who made the call to leave it in that condition. I'm still a bit torn on what to do. Part of me says its not worth it and part says it is.

I'm thinking I will most likely just take care of it myself and save the back and forth headache with the town. Luckily I found a little dirt road out of the place and didn't have to go through as much leaving for home.

What bugs me the most is...
    There was supposed to be a car show up there this month, but now will not happen. This is too bad, with the place being a bit slow already, I'm sure the owners of the campground could have used the $12 per car entry as well as other monies it would bring in from food sales, site rentals, etc.

it was tough to get the camera to focus on it, but it is just little strands like this all over from the windows down on each side. Barely touch it and it just smudges like crazy. these pics are just 4 different spots along one side, there is plenty more between all this plus the other side.
    thats nothing .

I would saturate a cotton cloth with the low odor mineral spirits put rubber gloves on first and gently wipe off that tar. on a hot day parked in the sun it will come off fast.

then wax the vehicle.

I do this every spring to get off the cold patch tar from winter pothole repair before waxing.

normally the lower 1/3 of the vehicle behind the front wheels is the worst of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Get to work!!! A little artex will take it off then some Good wax.. But you could try the Town route first....

Could have been worse It could have been that Yellow line paint..
    Had a new 96 red T Bird when drove through white lines painted before it rained. Took a few hours using mineral spirits, thumb nails,polishing compound and a bunch of cussin' to clean it off the lower rocker panels and doors
    2012 4.8 LS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast