GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GM 8.5" 10 bolt gaskets

I have been a fan of Lube Locker gaskets for years. Used them extensively on Jeeps and other vehicles. They are far superior to OEM differential gaskets and are reusable! No supplemental RTV or gasket sealer needed. I just purchased a 2013 Silverado 1500 crew cab on 5/31 and started my research into Lube locker gaskets for the rear diff. I am sort of anal about fluids, and all my fluids get changed out within the first 10,000 miles. Engine oil gets changed out after the first 2000.

If anyone is interested in a top notch rear diff gasket for their Silverado, here is a link to a place to get the Lube Locker one.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...pn=LULLLR-G850
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    I have been a fan of Lube Locker gaskets for years. Used them extensively on Jeeps and other vehicles. They are far superior to OEM differential gaskets and are reusable! No supplemental RTV or gasket sealer needed. I just purchased a 2013 Silverado 1500 crew cab on 5/31 and started my research into Lube locker gaskets for the rear diff. I am sort of anal about fluids, and all my fluids get changed out within the first 10,000 miles. Engine oil gets changed out after the first 2000.

If anyone is interested in a top notch rear diff gasket for their Silverado, here is a link to a place to get the Lube Locker one.

looks like a good made gasket.
    I also are very anal on fluid replacing on these type fluids.

I have a procedure on replacing this gasket seal which seals the differential with no gasket damage on removal. I still have the first one I purchased OEM from 2001. I do use a very small amount of silicone gasket sealer each time.. very small amount. still perfect seal replaced fluid 3 times so far.

Meh, ive done them all with silicone and have had no issues.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    Meh, ive done them all with silicone and have had no issues.
    Me too. Also where did the expression being "anal" come from anyway? I have used it myself but never really thought about it.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Yeah, I have used RTV in the past and never had an issue. I just like getting jobs done as quickly and as easily as possible. Some of us have so many things that vie for our time, turning vehicle maintenance into special Mechanics Illustrated projects is not worth it. I have a semi truck to maintain, an ag tractor to maintain, and a host of other things that consume my time, that every minute saved in time on doing any maintenance job is money saved, as time is money when you are in business for yourself. For some, spending a lot of time fiddling with their ride is a form of therapy. I can deal with that. In that case, take all the time you want.

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Me too. Also where did the expression being "anal" come from anyway? I have used it myself but never really thought about it.
    It's a reference to the anal stage of infant/early-childhood psychology (usually associated with potty training, hence the retention aspect) ... as originally (and erroneously) theorized by Freud.

I have a question -- why do you prefer silicon gasket maker over an actual gasket?

Legend

Yeah, I have used RTV in the past and never had an issue. I just like getting jobs done as quickly and as easily as possible. Some of us have so many things that vie for our time, turning vehicle maintenance into special Mechanics Illustrated projects is not worth it. I have a semi truck to maintain, an ag tractor to maintain, and a host of other things that consume my time, that every minute saved in time on doing any maintenance job is money saved, as time is money when you are in business for yourself. For some, spending a lot of time fiddling with their ride is a form of therapy. I can deal with that. In that case, take all the time you want.
    when you use the silicone sealant only and no gasket you must wait about 30 min for the silicone on the cover to skin over . then install the cover to the housing which has been cleaned with mineral spirits to remove all oils.

many professionals use this method rather than use a gasket.

I use the OEM gasket with just a small amount on the gasket surface wait the 30 min then install the cover with the gasket on it . then when I remove this cover the gasket stays with the cover and makes the re- install very easy .

The link is broken. I bought an OEM gasket off ebay for $28. I am a big proponent of using OEM gaskets. My thought is the differential has a 100K mile warranty, if you need servicing on it, and the dealer finds non-OEM gaskets, they might start asking you questions, since IIRC there is no service interval for differential fluid changes on the 1/2 ton Silverado.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

For those that dont know, if your making your gasket out of RTV be sure to not get any in the cover mount holes, there is very minnimal clearance and if there is too much RTV in the holes (take if from a pro) they will crack the diff. i realize this seems entirely impossible but believe me its true for both military equipment and our trucks. that gasket does seem pretty nice, what kind of fluid are you running?