GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 240K on a serpentine belt? Yep...

Last Thursday, the serpentine belt broke on my Saturn as I was leaving work. The belt was original and had 240K on it. Sorry no pics, but the belt broke pretty cleanly. Changing it in the parking lot at work was pretty easy with a screwdriver and 3/8" drive ratchet. It was tougher getting the splash shield off with its 6 or 8 push-in plastic rivets than changing the actual belt. On an unrelated note, I brought my car to Chevy to diagnose an issue I'm having with the car bucking when I start from a stoplight.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I'm still running the original belt on my Silverado. It's only just now starting to show signs of wear and it's at the top of my "to do" list to replace. But, if I knew I could get 200k miles out of it, then I still have 50k miles of life left in it. My biggest fear is it snapping and leaving me stranded somewhere.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Hmmm
    Going on a trip soon-and I was kinda planning to replace the "fan belt" on the 98 suburban
    Bought it 28,000 miles and 6 years ago-didn't replace the belt-not sure when PO did
    but he was pretty good on maintenance
    Belt "Looks" ok.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

By no means do I endorse running parts as long as I do, but I have on my car. The car runs 95%+ on the highway at constant speeds with cruise so the engine parts really aren't getting stressed too bad.

Charlie, definitely change your belt if you've never done it before going on that long trip and keep the old one in the truck as a spare. No sense in having it break somewhere and being stranded.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I picked up my 2 belts for about $35.00 2 weeks ago with me getting close to 100K I will be replacing them soon. I see a few cracks.. For now they are in my truck..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Wow. I replace my serpentine belts on all my vehicles at least every 5 years, minimum, for safety reasons. If it fails in the middle of nowhere, bad news. My truck has had a new one three times now, and it has not rolled over 100,000 miles yet.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Thats great mileage on that belt, you really got lucky it didnt fail.

I attribute the long life of parts on the Saturn to lots of highway miles and driving it easy with cruise. I rarely get on it hard. But, it did fail on me, it just took forever to do so. Luckily I had someone nearby that was able to bring me a replacement belt and tools to change it with.

DISCLAIMER: I am a professional idiot and do stupid things like run parts for far past their expected lifespans. Do not try this at home!

i had to take the batteries out of my mag-light and use the thing as leverage on the end of the ratchet... those idle pulleys pull that belt TIGHT!!!
    lol

always keep some tools in your car!