GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which mirror would you choose?

00 Z71, backing out of my parking I broke my chrome backed drivers mirror ...I have found (2) after market black tow manual telescoping with power adjustable mirrors $100, or a drivers power chrome OEM used $50 or pair of used power chrome OEM for $60...I don't tow often therefore I don't know that they would be worth the trouble to swap out both mirrors. what say you?

Need, or looks. If you don't need the tow mirrors, and you like the looks of the chrome oem mirrors, then oem is the way to go.

I don't tow often either, so I don't need the tow mirrors, but I don't like the chrome mirrors, if I had a shot, I'd go with the tows.

ps, not a lot of work to change 'em.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Nobody can tell you which mirror is right for you. Only you know what you need, or what will work best. You say you don't tow much...if that NEVER includes a wide trailer that prevents your side view, you have zero need for pullout mirrors. Also, any mirror(s) you need is available at ebay, at about 15% of dealer price, and maybe half of normal used price, if you don't mind buying stuff from China. I replaced my chrome-back power mirror on my '01 for $32, including shipping, and it is a perfect match.

Lastly, most people find that once they get used to backing into parking places, they find it much easier, safer, and less stressful. Pulling straight out into any traffic lane is much safer than backing out into a traffic lane. When you back into a parking spot, you do not have to worry about not seeing oncoming traffic, you can focus more on what you are doing. (lot of words to express something learned by experience...)
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

I like the look of the tow mirrors better... looks tougher. The downside is they create a big blind spot... takes a little to be used to.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

If you don't tow often, it's a practical decision to get the chrome oem. Besides your old mirror is a chrome also.

I agree, go with the OEM. Besides, you can always grab some aftermarket tow mirror attachments to the outside of your mirrors. I've got a set that I simply keep in my travel trailer. When I go pick up the trailer, I pull them out and attach them to the mirrors (they just slide over, like these ones: http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-10900-Che...+for+silverado ) The one's shown are like $45... Mine are just like those. Love em.

This way, you get the best of both worlds. Sharp OEM for driving around, and extra distance from the cab when towing.

Cheers,

Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Mirrors are overrated, I say ditch the mirrors and have your wife watch behind you.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

That's a great idea, Skippy...thanx..I passed on tow mirrors,,im looking for used OEM...I did take off my adj button & clean the contact, it made a world of diff in response...I looked at one from 99 Sierra but guy couldn't get it to work so I passed but maybe it was his switch...Would it be possible to swap out the broken casted pivot in my mirror for one on another mirror, if so I could get the one off 99 & make swap.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, will a mirror that is also heated connect to my power source?
    Beige 03 2500 4x4 4dr xcab auto

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    I like the look of the tow mirrors better... looks tougher. The downside is they create a big blind spot... takes a little to be used to.
    Not OP, but I have been considering getting tow mirrors for my 1/2 ton. I pull a medium sized livestock trailer which they would help with and I really like the look as well.

Is the blind spot really that bad? I've read reviews where they claimed they were better than factory for everyday driving. Or where you referring to the ones without the separate blind spot mirror on the bottom of the tow mirror?
    WAR EAGLE!!!

I have the ones with the blind spot mirror... the blind spot is not so much the function of the mirror themselves but when pulling to a corner and looking to the right... the mirror can interfere with seeing approaching from that direction.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast