GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Has anyone taken apart a NNBS headlight??

Im thinking of buying a set of NNBS headlights to take apart and modify. Im looking at removing the amber lense and painting some parts black and possibly putting in some red halo rings. I have heard of some putting them in the oven for 15 minutes at a certain temp to allow the glue to become flexible enough to seperate them but also have heard that does not work. I seen a video on youtube of someone cutting into the lights and re-assembling with black rtv silicone but not sure I want to take that route. Any ideas guys on ripping into the lights. I think I can get a set that someone replaced with projectors for around a $100 so its worth it to me to buy them instead of experimenting on my originals.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody?? Bueller? Bueller?

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

bump anybody?

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    bump anybody?

i too have seen people putting their headlights in the oven to remove them from their shells, this does make me a bit apprehensive (with good concern, i doubt your misses wants auto parts in a piece of cookery)

You might try a heat gun or a blow dryer if you dont have an actual heat gun although you may need a specific temperature of heat that only a heat gun can provide. This is the route i'd take.

Also most of the mods i've seen involving the oven are for motorcycle retrofits (IE: Taking parts off a bmw car and adapting them to a bike) so they were less than concerned when the shell didnt need to be adhered back together. If you do go this route im not sure that simply putting everything back together and applying the heat gun to try to re-adhere the light assembly together would even work.

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Im thinking of buying a set of NNBS headlights to take apart and modify. Im looking at removing the amber lense and painting some parts black and possibly putting in some red halo rings. I have heard of some putting them in the oven for 15 minutes at a certain temp to allow the glue to become flexible enough to seperate them but also have heard that does not work. I seen a video on youtube of someone cutting into the lights and re-assembling with black rtv silicone but not sure I want to take that route. Any ideas guys on ripping into the lights. I think I can get a set that someone replaced with projectors for around a $100 so its worth it to me to buy them instead of experimenting on my originals.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody?? Bueller? Bueller?
    IMO you're just asking to trash a set of headlights. Spyder makes projector headlamp with halo rings for ~$250, the rings are not red.

http://www.spyderauto.com/product.ph...adlights-Black

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    IMO you're just asking to trash a set of headlights. Spyder makes projector headlamp with halo rings for ~$250, the rings are not red.

http://www.spyderauto.com/product.ph...adlights-Black
    Yeah I checked them out but theres something about "customizing" that to me doesnt mean "Bolt On" I want a look that no one else has or can get. Im not a fan of the projectors ever since I had a set and was not impressed. Im looking at a set on ebay that have clear instead of amber reflectors and has black background instead of chrome for $162 pair. Just have to bring myself to buy them to tear into them and do what I want to do with them. Might have to save for a Christmas present to myself this winter.

Be weary of Oracle lights, I've heard they are flimsy lights and the come apart months after purchase, and something about a no-return policy.

Hakuna Matata!

Check out oracle lighting for halos. DO NOT put the nnbs headlights in the oven the will melt. Use a hot knife or a dremel
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    Check out oracle lighting for halos. DO NOT put the nnbs headlights in the oven the will melt. Use a hot knife or a dremel
    I put them in the oven and it turned out great. seperated pretty easily but the butyle glue seal was stuck pretty good. the plastic melts at about 280 and the glue gets flexible enough to pull the lense off at around 230 degrees.