GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default noise when driving ~ 2000 K2500 7.4L

2000 K2500 7.4L

Jez, I keep finding more things to fix. When will it end? Anyway, there is a noise under the truck when I am driving. I thought it was the rear brakes, but it doesn't go away when I am stopping or touch the brakes. I think it is in the drive line. I have replaced the carrier bearing 3 times. This noise is not present when I jack up the truck and put it in gear. Even up to 30 mph, but on the ground and rolling, it is there. It sounds like a rubbing high pitch noise. Could it be a u-joint? Or do you think it is the carrier bearing? I hope it is not something in the rear end.

Also, is there a belt that wont squeal after 1000 miles? I have tried Autozone, Advance, and Napa (the belt was 2x $ as much too). They all seem to squeal after 1000 miles and I get tired of replacing them even when they are free replacements.

It could be anything from a u-joint to a bad axle bearing in the rear. The axle bearing would make more sense since it only does it with the weight of the truck on it. Can you post a video of the noise? That may help figure out what it is. I have never had the belt issue that you are talking about. Is your tensioner bad? Maybe it is putting too much tension or not enough tension on the belt.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

this title made me laugh... noise while driving...
    if there is no noise, your parked.
    LOL
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Where does it sound like its coming from? Front, rear or under cab? My thoughts would be to change the U joints first... I had a rear axle bearing go once and that is pretty obvious... usually the seal will go bad too and oil will leak into the hub.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

The only time I hear it is when I am driving about 25 to 40 mph. Hard to hear above that. It sounds like it is coming from under the truck. It is not localized to where you hear it at one side or the other more. Especially on a bridge, it really is loud. What is the best way to check a ujoint? It can sound like a whistling noise too.

As far as the belt, I have replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys. No difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyandy View Post
    ... What is the best way to check a ujoint?...
    get under the truck and try to wiggle it in every direction. if theres any play, change it. usually can hear a clunk when going reverse to drive and drive to reverse if it is bad

5.7L 350| .420 Cam | Bored 0.030 | Edelbrock intake manifold | 600 Cfm Edelbrock Carburetor | Long tube headers | Shift kit | Chrome dress up kit | Flowmaster 40's exhaust | Edelbrock heads | Custom paint
    SOLD

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

HONORARY CANUCK