GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Question on PSI/Beach Off-Roading

I plan on taking my 2500HD to the Outer Banks this coming up weekend to drive on the off-road beach. Two questions:

1) When I have gone down with my Jeep, I dropped the PSI down to 15 to 20. What do you suggest or have done with your trucks?

2) I'd like to buy a mobile air compressor, as the closest gas station charges for air, and with all the trips we plan on doing, I'm not paying for air, any suggestions?

what tires are you running? i know most your 10 plys dont do all too great aired down like the 6s and 8s.. but i havent been playing in sand much :D

i use a air comp from walmart.. think its made by SLIME? it works in a pinch. I also have a small comp i use for my helper air bags i can "T" into if a sure nuff pinch for some air.
    -Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

Stock 18'' that came with the truck, 2013 year...

i reccomend a PSI to match your rim size as the lowest...
    15" rim, no lower than 15
    18" rim no lower than 18

otherwise you can pop a bead and be walking... im hoping to go to pismo soon myself X)
    i was just out in the desert sand dunes, and thats what we did for our trucks. 16, 17, and 18 rims/psi and no one had problems
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

I go to that beach a fair bit. To answer your question about airing down. I don't. The sand is usually packed enough that airing down isn't mandatory. I know I am going to take flak for saying that but that is what I do. When we went last year for a week I let some air maybe down to 25psi or so. But when we left the beach for the day I aired back up and never let any out when we went back on. That was with the stock Bridgestone's that came on the truck. The only thing to remember is if you start to bog down in the sand to stop, back up a little in the rut you made and drive forward again. Easy on the gas and you won't have any problems. As a side note one thing to remember is help others out if they are stuck cause you never know when it may be you! Have fun and stay away from the wild horses.
    Oh and for compressors I installed a Smittybilt compressor I picked up from 4Wheelpart.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-04_01-45-50_763.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	52645

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18