GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 2000 Chev Tranny trouble

Hi everryone, I'm new to this forum. I drive a 2000 Chev Silverado 1500 ext cab with a 4.3L. I have a question about my transmission. I just performed a service, pan drop and filter, put it all togeather and filled the trans up. My issue begins now, it will move forward in D, and 3, but barely. R, 1, 2, N, and P all do what their supose to. Fluid level is fine. My question is, if I put the wrong filter in, (the new one was not as thick) could this cause this issue? I would like to find out before I take it to a shop. Thanks for any and all of your assistance.

Yes there are two different filters. Which part number did you install?
    Also, how many miles were on the trans since last service?

Almost every time if the trans has 100, 000+ miles without a service and the fluid/filter is changed, the new fluid kills the clutchs.

Either you have the wrong filter or your transmission is done for.
    -Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

Welcome to the G M T C ! You might get a few more answers if you post your problem on one of our "Tech.' " forums. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Hi everryone, I'm new to this forum. I drive a 2000 Chev Silverado 1500 ext cab with a 4.3L. I have a question about my transmission. I just performed a service, pan drop and filter, put it all togeather and filled the trans up. My issue begins now, it will move forward in D, and 3, but barely. R, 1, 2, N, and P all do what their supose to. Fluid level is fine. My question is, if I put the wrong filter in, (the new one was not as thick) could this cause this issue? I would like to find out before I take it to a shop. Thanks for any and all of your assistance.

I'm not sure when the last service was but at least 60,000 km ago. The truck has 195,000 km. The filter I used is a Fram FK-252, and the maker is Pro-King Automotive Products. I bought it at Canadian Tire. Is the reason for slippage with too thin of a filter because it falls (pan dosn't hold it in place) and drops line pressure and can't hold the clutches in place?

I'm also not sure where to find the tech forums. I'll look around but this is the first forum I've ever signed up for. Damm newbies.

Yep thats the Short pan filter wix number crossed to 58904 which is incorrect.. its sucking air and cavatating the pump which results in low pressure.

you need a wix 58847 or

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetai...b=F&pn=FT1217B

Jr. Apprentice

Thats wicked news. I'll get that changed over and let you know if it worked. GMTC forum was an excellent choice. Quick and helpfull replies. Thanks nonnieselman.

Yep!! ive broken so many of them crappy transmissions its not funny.. so ive learned a few things about them over the years...

here is your Tech section for further questions..

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/for...owertrain-Tech

Jr. Apprentice

Got my filter changed over on Friday and all is good now. I'm glad it was a filter and not a tranny rebuild. lol

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

****Moved Thread Here****

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals