GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Diesel swap in a 93 s10

Hi everyone my name is Nate. i'm new to the forum. i drive a 1993 chevy s10 with a 2.8 v6 5spd (turd) i was looking into possibly taking out this slug engine and replacing it with a diesel. i had an idea of putting a 6.6 druamax in it but steered in a different direction after punching some numbers . i was looking at putting an isuzu turbo diesel in it (i'm a diesel junky). I've been looking through different engines and am not sure which one will supply me with both a decent amount of power and decent mpg. i know it wont be fast but as long as it does better than the 2.8 im good with that. any ideas?

Welcome to the G M T C, Nate! You might get more answers in one of our Tech' forums.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Nate
    Welcome
    Have a buddy with a 1986 or so Isuzu with the 4 cal diesel-not turbid
    He also had same engine-Turboed-in the Isuzu SUV- forget the name-maybe 1989 or so
    The HP was low 50-60 for plain diesel 80 for TD
    They are-were-extremely slow-probably slower than you little 4 gas engine
    But on the BRIGHT SIDE his little pickup-would get an HONEST 40 mpg at 55 mph(national speed limit at that time)
    If you are looking to do it the easy way-you might hunt up one of those old Isuzu pickups-
    or the Chevy Luv diesel-same vehicle
    Now I haven't seem one-other than his(450,000 miles-maybe still running) in many years-and RUST was a BIG problem for vehicles of that generation.

If you want MPG the little Isuzu diesel will deliver
    If you want performance -acceleration-better than your current motor-not possible with that motor.
    On the bright side-those diesels had simpler injection systems- probably can run on modified vegetable oil or modified cleaned up fryer grease-not sure how well they tolerate current low sulphur diesel.

By numbers-you checked up found it would cost $10,000 or so to do a duramax swap-and HEAVY engine for for that little truck.

Seems I've heard of folks putting a small Cummins 4 cylinder in S10's??
    Well you are much more experienced in diesels than I am- but I do know the Isuzu 4 delivers on mpg- but it is slow
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Nate
    Seems I've heard of folks putting a small Cummins 4 cylinder in S10's??
    Charlie
    i've heard of this too, but from people that have done this said the have a death shake at idle :/ since this is my daily driver i wouldn't want to deal with that.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our forum, as this will get you more responses/opinions.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Welcome to the site. I'd go for the 4BT Cummins myself but that's me. Those actually made decent power, certainly better than that 60*V6 that's in there (sorry if my bias against 60* 6s is showing). It would actually be decent for a DD. Good power and you'll probably get better fuel mileage than the 4cyl version does. I've tossed around the idea of a 6BT in the Burb myself (the 4BT wouldn't put out as much power as the tired motor in there now)
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."