GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default 2003 Fog Light Lens

The lens fell off both of my fog lights. Driving around with the bulbs and reflectors exposed to the elements. I was wondering why they were so dim the last time I used them about 2 months ago. Anybody have any recommendations on how to solve the issue without buying new lights if they are even available?

Bill

Hi Bill: The same thing happened to my Tahoe the weather gat at it and took out the bulbs. I look for replacement lenses but no luck but rockauto.com has them at a good price.
    Eric

Sr. Apprentice

I found them on eBay for $32 plus shipping. Aftermarket and fairly well built but I had to separate the original piece that mounted to the bumper and swap it onto the new bracket as the one that came with the new setup was too flexible. Looks like when they molded the new part they didn't copy GMs design exactly and didn't size the reinforcing strips correctly. Once I swapped the plastic mounting pieces the lights installed and didn't bounce around.

Bill

Hi Bill:I found them at rockauto.com for $23.86 CDN for brand new take a look at rockauto and see if the best buy. By the way it's the whole unit, so it makes it faster to install. I plan to buy them next month. Good luck, Eric

You need to watch buying the ebay crap. Most of it is not DOT approved. I bought a set of fog lights from ebay and they scatter light terribly. They will tell you that the product is made in a facility that makes DOT approved things. Then it turns out that the fog lights are not DOT approved.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGREDDADDY53 View Post
    Hi Bill:I found them at rockauto.com for $23.86 CDN for brand new take a look at rockauto and see if the best buy. By the way it's the whole unit, so it makes it faster to install. I plan to buy them next month. Good luck, Eric
    When was that? I am looking at Rock Auto right now and the Dorman's are 44 for the right and 54 for the left. Odd they are ten bucks different but since most accidents happen on the drivers side they appear to be just trying to make a few extra bucks off insurance companies.

I didn't really look at first but there seems to be two types. I have the one's that are not round and sell for $21.93 CDN, but I did notice that the round ones are $39.46.

Quote Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
    When was that? I am looking at Rock Auto right now and the Dorman's are 44 for the right and 54 for the left. Odd they are ten bucks different but since most accidents happen on the drivers side they appear to be just trying to make a few extra bucks off insurance companies.
    I actually notice the lens missing on more of the passenger side than the driverside. For some reason I always see the passenger side broken or laying on the side of the road. I started collecting them of the road last year because I was playing with some mod ideas with them. I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to mount a higher wattage and larger bulb in them. I did that easily. But, I also wanted to see what effect the larger higher wattage bulb had on them before I did it to my good set. They all melted. Anyway, a majority of the housings I found were from the passenger side.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Have to plug the vendors. Looks like factory oem units can be had for $66.

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/parts-cat...ical/fog-lamps

I used to tout the pair of new fog lamps I got from 1aauto.com for $80 but now I see why they are so cheap. I have had them less than a year and I just found the passenger side is out and housing is full of water. :( The driver side has some water in it but still works. They don't seem to be sealed well.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!