GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation Clunk noise when putting truck in reverse

So just recently my truck has been clunking when putting it in reverse. I checked the U joints and they seem fine. The noise seems to be coming from the yoke that goes into the transfer case. There is no vibrations at hwy speeds or clunk when in drive or driving. If I grease it will this stop?

when you checked the u-joints was there any up and down play in the slip yoke going into the t-case? sometimes the bushing in the t-case wears and causes the noise. Mine made a similar noise. But, mine happened going into reverse and drive. i greased the crap out of the inside and put a thin coating on the outside and the noise stopped.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Usually the "clunk" is caused by excessive movement off the parts connecting the transmission to the rear axles, it could be in the tranny, the t-case, the u-joints or the diff. It is usually one, or more of the u-joints, or the bearings at the yokes.

Some "clunk" is normal, there should be some play in the pieces.

I usually turn (twist) the driveshaft back and forth and try to see what mores more than normal. Try twisting and pushing up and down, sideways as well, at the front of the driveshaft and at the rear.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I think I figured it out. There is movement up and down in the yolk going into the transfer case.