GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

As I mentioned in an earlier post that caught @Pikey 's attention. I have been looking at ceramic top coatings for paint to protect it in replacement of "paste wax" that is more permanent.

Ceramic coatings are something allot of us may not pay much attention to, but they come in all grades and really are on the "cutting edge' of what regular consumers can find now.

There are simple ones and some of the toughest ceramic coats resist salt water and are even used as ballistic grade coatings meaning they are able armor plate vehicles with them.

Because of my schedule, I am not going to be able to apply and test this stuff on my truck for at least 2-3 months (work is keeping me busy) but I wanted to give it a shot.

It came in from the UK and I am lucky customs did not destroy the bottles.

Sweet. That is not the product that I had found. I am excited to see how you like it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by savagetman View Post
    got my bed lights mounted today, and some time this week going to finish wiring them, as well instal my amp hd sport bed extender
    well did not have time this week to wire the lights so i had the local gm dealership do it for me
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA110007.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	55547
    tomorrow i am putting in my bedextender from amp resurch

- - - Updated - - -

installed amp hd sport bedextender
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0882.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	55568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	55569

Change my differential fluids... and greased everything
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith4816 View Post
    Found my oil leak. Looks like its either rear main seal or oil filter adapter/lines. Maybe even both. Also tried to figure out my electrical problem. Found out it was my new alternator (January). Needless to say, I am very fast at doing alternators now lol. Have done 4 on my truck now, luckily Ive got a lifetime warranty!
    Where did you get the alternator? Advance? I went through six of them in 2 months. I finally broke down adn bought a new bosch alternator.

Yesterday, I installed my upgraded headlight harness. It takes power directly from the battery, has 2 relays (one for each light), is fused, and uses one of the factory connectors as the trigger for the relays. I also installed new high and low beam bulbs. For the lows I used GE Night hawk 9005, and for the highs I used Sylvania Xtra vision 9005. I was going to use the zXe bulbs but read in many places that the glare produced in poor weather was terrible. (as it was with my piaa extreme white) I did the upgraded harness for 2 reasons, 1) I have the diode mod for the brights and low beams to all stay on when the brights are turned on, I live in an area with long dark country roads so I run all four for long periods of time. I noticed that after a few minutes my headlight switch was getting warm when running all 4 bulbs, the harness stops power from running through the switch 2) I was having an issue with headlight dimming when I put up the windows or stopped and put the truck in reverse. I have a new battery and new alternator. I have checked all of my grounds. The harness stopped the dimming. I was getting 11.5 volts at the factory connector, I am getting 11.98 volts at the harness connectors.

Today, I ordered a new AC delco air filter and an oil filter. The air filter was a pain to figure out because GM changed the part number for the "high capacity" filter for my truck.
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Where did you get the alternator? Advance? I went through six of them in 2 months. I finally broke down adn bought a new bosch alternator.

Yesterday, I installed my upgraded headlight harness. It takes power directly from the battery, has 2 relays (one for each light), is fused, and uses one of the factory connectors as the trigger for the relays. I also installed new high and low beam bulbs. For the lows I used GE Night hawk 9005, and for the highs I used Sylvania Xtra vision 9005. I was going to use the zXe bulbs but read in many places that the glare produced in poor weather was terrible. (as it was with my piaa extreme white) I did the upgraded harness for 2 reasons, 1) I have the diode mod for the brights and low beams to all stay on when the brights are turned on, I live in an area with long dark country roads so I run all four for long periods of time. I noticed that after a few minutes my headlight switch was getting warm when running all 4 bulbs, the harness stops power from running through the switch 2) I was having an issue with headlight dimming when I put up the windows or stopped and put the truck in reverse. I have a new battery and new alternator. I have checked all of my grounds. The harness stopped the dimming. I was getting 11.5 volts at the factory connector, I am getting 11.98 volts at the harness connectors.

Today, I ordered a new AC delco air filter and an oil filter. The air filter was a pain to figure out because GM changed the part number for the "high capacity" filter for my truck.
    Dis you make the harness or order it? Just wondering because I'm thinking about doing a similar thing and I don't want to mess with my factory wires.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I ordered it. I looked around and found tons of them. Most only had one relay, so if it goes bad you loose both headlights. Mine has one for each light. Plus, if something fails it would be easy enough for me to just pull over and plug in the factory harness. I paid $30 for it. Only thing is that I wish the wires were just a little bit longer, like maybe 4 inches on each side. They are now a tad shorter than I would have liked. I will pm you the info on what I bought. I also have some questions about the big 3 upgrade you did, more about soldering the connections.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by PantheraUncia View Post
    As I mentioned in an earlier post that caught @Pikey 's attention. I have been looking at ceramic top coatings for paint to protect it in replacement of "paste wax" that is more permanent.

Ceramic coatings are something allot of us may not pay much attention to, but they come in all grades and really are on the "cutting edge' of what regular consumers can find now.

There are simple ones and some of the toughest ceramic coats resist salt water and are even used as ballistic grade coatings meaning they are able armor plate vehicles with them.

Because of my schedule, I am not going to be able to apply and test this stuff on my truck for at least 2-3 months (work is keeping me busy) but I wanted to give it a shot.

It came in from the UK and I am lucky customs did not destroy the bottles.

how much research did you do on this stuff???? I am very interested to see what this has to offer especially since i live on the beach.... whenever you do end up getting to it please inform us of the results!
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

My original is from auto zone. With the warranty it doesn't cost me anything, just the 5 minutes it takes me to take it off and bring it in. Its just a stock. I was thinking about getting a larger one, but decided not too.

Replaced my oil filter adapter gasket so hopefully no more oil leak, or atleast a smaller one
    -K&N Air Filter

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    how much research did you do on this stuff???? I am very interested to see what this has to offer especially since i live on the beach.... whenever you do end up getting to it please inform us of the results!
    Reggie,

I found out about "
    http://www.zytexx.com/" (Zytexx) from a friend of mine that happened to meet the owner of the company in passing many years ago. My friend was asking me about going in with him on a franchise were we could bake it on vehicles like a properly done clear coat.

Apparently they started another company to retail zytexx as "Proguard Plus" (PG+).
    http://www.proguardplus.com/

They started this as a "Ceramic Glass" type coating for Yachts in the ocean and apparently added Private jets also (So they are coating Yachts and Jets).

Then I say some photo's on their site where they coated a porsche and Harley with the stuff too. I am really interested in it as a protectant of the paint and to make those pebbles that leave chips in the hood stop. Even thinking about coating the rims with the stuff and see what happens to keep break dust from sticking.

Unfortunately it is not good for glass (I want a permanent replacement for rain x).

We will see what happens, again, before I put this stuff on the truck, it will have to get a proper cleaning all the way down to clay baring the paint; which I am not going to have time for any time soon.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast