GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default U-Joint phasing on 2003 Tahoe Z71 4WD??

I am still getting vibrations in my drive shaft after shortening it 3/4 of an inch. Was the stock drive shaft U-Joints phased, or aligned straight? The U-Joints are straight up after shortening, and am wondering if that was incorrect?? I've balanced the drive shaft 3 times, replaced the drive tube with new 3 inch DOM steel, and still have the vibrations starting at 60 mph and getting stronger with higher speeds. The diff is not parallel with the transfer case output. It is 2 degrees off. I am in the process of correcting that by moving the front of the diff down with some adjustable upper trailing arm links from Spohn Performance. But, can 2 degrees make that much difference? That is what is driving this phasing question.
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

Well, Does anyone else have a 2003 4WD Tahoe? If there is someone out there with one, can they look at their rear wheel driveshaft for me?
    There are two U-Joints on it. One in the front, next to the transfer case output, by a possible damper; and another one next to the differential. Can you tell me if the U-Joints on your driveshaft are aligned, front to back, in the same plane?? Or, is one U-Joint rotated from the other??
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

on my 03 and 05 yukon xl's are rotated 90 degrees

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)