GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 16 or 18in wheels?

I current have the stock (265/70/16) wheels & tires,,,I have an option to purchase 2013 18in wheels & tires..My question is how much will these effect my mpg and response?
    thanx
    Last edited by Necred; 06-09-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Beige 03 2500 4x4 4dr xcab auto

I the new wheels are heavier than your old ones the unsprung weight will affect things some, whats the overall size of the tires your using because that'll make a difference too.

You will probably see a bigger difference in gas mileage from tire size than wheel diameter. When I upgraded mine from 16s to 17s I really did not see much of a difference, I also went with stock tire dimensions.

-JJ
    04 Silverado Ext-Cab 2wd LS w/ 5.3L
    Spectre Performance CAI
    FLOPRO Dual Exhaust
    Bakflip HD Bedcover
    2005 Z71 17in wheels on Duellar A/Ts
    DDM Tuning 6k HID Low Beams
    Sony Headunit w/ iPod
    Blacked out Bowtie and Windows
    Matched Paint for bumpers and grill

17", 18" and 20" wheel and tires were available for my truck (an '09) when I compared each tire I was surprised to find the circumference of each tire was almost the same. So close, that I'm sure there would be no difference in speedo readings, or mpg.

Check 'em on here: http://www.michelinman.com/
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

a 32" tire that is 10" wide will have the same mpg, response, etc., whether its on a 15" wheel, 16" wheel, 24" wheel" 30" wheel....
    does not matter wheel size. its all about outside tire size and width.
    and as far as weight, if your going up in wheel size, weight will increase obviously, but tire weight will also decrease hand-in-hand.
    the marginal difference in weight, IF its even any heavier, will yield NO effect on your parameters. Since your tires are in contact with the ground, an additional 10 pounds in weight on one tire and wheel (40 pounds for all four), is the exact same as 40 pounds sitting in the bed of your truck. and if 40 pounds affects your mpg, I feel sorry if you ever carry any passengers in your truck LOL
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

The chart shows 265/70/16 tire (on truck now)is 30.61 dia. the stock tire on 2013 was almost 2 in taller (I don't recall the size) as I put the 2 tires side by side after making sure they would clear fender well. I cant reach owner of truck to ask the tire size but im sure it was 2in taller. So the weight will affect the mpg & response more than the size?
    The stock tire on 00 Z71 is the 265/75/16 (31.65),, I may just put them on it. my mpg now is 18.6 mostly hiway...

Quote Originally Posted by Necred View Post
    So the weight will affect the mpg & response more than the size?
    No.
    the marginal weight difference, is not going to affect anything. however, You MIGHT see a difference if each wheel and tire is about 200 pounds heavier.

SIZE and only SIZE (I.E. height and width of tire) will effect your mpg and response.

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    Since your tires are in contact with the ground, an additional 10 pounds in weight on one tire and wheel (40 pounds for all four), is the exact same as 40 pounds sitting in the bed of your truck.
    Looking at mpg, this is probably true, but unsprung weight, compared to sprung weight, will wear suspension components faster. Unsprung weight has the effect of lower traction, and drive-ability if you are after performance; but, it can improve comfort in the seat of the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    SIZE and only SIZE (I.E. height and width of tire) will effect your mpg and response.
    I agree, if all we are looking at is weight and size. Rubber compound and thread pattern will have the biggest impact on mpg.

To the OP, if the wheels/tires coming off are OEM, for your truck; and, the wheels/tires you are looking at, are OEM, for your truck, you will notice very little difference in mpg, and/or, performance. GM selects the tires based upon mpg, performance and most of all, road noise.

Former Member

As I have mentioned in other posts, they changed the bolt pattern from a SAE to metric in 2011 for the 2500s...did they follow suite with the 1500s? Might be worth checking before buying...

Quote Originally Posted by Necred View Post
    I current have the stock (265/70/16) wheels & tires,,,I have an option to purchase 2013 18in wheels & tires..My question is how much will these effect my mpg and response?
    thanx
    I doubt you will see much effect in gas mileage from tire size alone, but you will see a big effect in speedometer accuracy. You will need to get some kind of unit to tell the ECU the new tire height.

Another thing that happens is that when the speedometer is off, it throws off automatic transmission shift points, so your fuel economy will suffer.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by