GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2010 Silverado Head unit replacement wiring harness (non-bose, no nav)

Has anyone replaced their head unit and not used the expensive wiring harness adapter? I've replaced head units in many vehicles (granted mostly older models) and never seen a $130 wiring harness adapter like the one Crutchfield claims I need (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLA...n-Adapter.html). I don't think I will miss the door chimes or turn signal chimes and don't have onstar or XM so I'm wondering if I can get around using this harness and hard wiring everything or if this will just cause me more headaches than it's worth. I'm putting in a 5 channel amp and new speakers all around so I'm not worried about the connection between the head unit and speakers. I know with a little rigging I can get the head unit to work, I just don't know what else I may lose functionality of. I also don't want to make it a complete pain in the a$$ to swap the factory unit back in, in case I decide to sell it but it shouldn't be horrendous from a wiring perspective to tap into the power and ground, speed sensitive sound control wire, and illumination wire of the factory harness to power the head unit. Has anybody tried this get around or is it just worth it to bite the bullet and buy the factory harness adapter? If I buy a +$120 head unit from crutchfield, the adapter is half price but that still seems like an absurd amount of money for a little wiring harness that I won't be using 90% of the connections for since my speakers will be wired direct to the amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This might be a good question for @Enkeiavalanche , lets see if he chimes in!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

After some more pondering today, I am tossing around the idea of taking out the center seat in the front and making a custom floor console which I could mount my head unit and amp in and put the sub in the back facing the rear seats. If I go this route, I could leave my stock head unit up top and just tap into the wires I need to run the aftermarket unit and possibly retain the rest of the functions for the stock head unit. I know I'm really going to complicate the wiring process now but if I think about it long enough, I'm hoping I can come up with a way to pull it all together.

Anybody have advice on this? Looking to purchase equipment soon and want to know if I can get away without the wiring harness or not. I decided against attempting to keep the stock head unit in place and just tear everything out but I still need to know if its worth it to get the harness when I will be running a 5 channel amp to power all the door speakers and sub. Please help!! Thank you.