GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Loud Backlash

Default Loud Backlash

I have a 2008 Crew, 4.8, 3.23 gear/ locking dif. AT. When I'm just rolling to a stop and sometimes come to a complete stop, I hear a sound in the rear end that sounds and feels just like having a 1 7/8" ball with a 2" tongue. It just has started and since I bought it in Oct. 2008 I don't have long before the warranty is out! I've just pulled a motorcycle trailer with it twice since I had it. Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance.

Check the slip joint in the drive shaft.
    This sounds like the common slip joint problem.
    Three methods of solving the problem Ivr heard of are:
    Greasing the slip joint and ensuring its packed with grease.
    Placing a small rubber ball inside the slip joint to take up the slack.
    And replacing the yoke with a nickle plated yoke that can be purchased from your favorite GM dealer.
    by all means use your warranty first to diagnose/repair the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Check the slip joint in the drive shaft.
    This sounds like the common slip joint problem.
    Three methods of solving the problem Ivr heard of are:
    Greasing the slip joint and ensuring its packed with grease.
    Placing a small rubber ball inside the slip joint to take up the slack.
    And replacing the yoke with a nickle plated yoke that can be purchased from your favorite GM dealer.
    by all means use your warranty first to diagnose/repair the problem.
    I agree! it sounds like the slip yoke. I just packed mine full of grease and the noise stopped. I would make them fix it under warranty.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Get on their case about changing to a plated yoke bc they will tell you just to change the tcase fluid. So change the fluid then get the truck dirty so it doesnt look like it was just changed but has been changed recently then bitch at the service manager for a new yoke.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Thanks guys, I'm just now seeing these post. Normally I received a notification that someone replied.

6. Likes ChevyFan liked this post
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy69 View Post
    I have a 2008 Crew, 4.8, 3.23 gear/ locking dif. AT. When I'm just rolling to a stop and sometimes come to a complete stop, I hear a sound in the rear end that sounds and feels just like having a 1 7/8" ball with a 2" tongue. It just has started and since I bought it in Oct. 2008 I don't have long before the warranty is out! I've just pulled a motorcycle trailer with it twice since I had it. Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance.
    this problem of a bump when slowing down just before a stop or almost a stop seems to me to be the transmission is not dropping down to 1 st gear as it should .the transmission at times is in a higher gear at the very slow speed. could be the transmission fluid or the solenoids sticking.

how often have you replaced you drive train fluids ? what are the miles on this vehicle ?

Only 26k and I haven't changed the fluids yet. I'm going to change it but it does sound like the differential. Thx

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy69 View Post
    Only 26k and I haven't changed the fluids yet. I'm going to change it but it does sound like the differential. Thx

make sure the rear diff cover is removed and the box is cleaned out along with the magnet.

inspect for any gear damage.

these eaton locking diff require a 1000 mi break in. no long high speed drives. no towing/hauling during this first 1000 mi. then at 2000 mi drop diff cover clean inspect and it is good until 40K mi or so depending on your loading.