GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Strange smell from AC at idle 2000 Sub

I have a 2000 suburban 2500 and just recently there has been a strange smell coming from the AC vents when the AC is running and the suburban is at idle. There is a faint smell when running at normal speeds but at idle there is a burning smell and at times almost smells like wet dog crap. Like I said a really odd odor. I don't drive the suburban like I used to, just mostly for towing the boat so it does sit for a week or 2 at a time. Just curious what some opinions may be.

Pull out the fan motor. Sometimes Mice build nests in the fan motor then they just poof, die. The rot smell can be fun..

I'd pull the fan motor and clean out what ever junk is in there. once it is out, you can basically clean the coils, the air box, and spray some cleaner (bleach) in there to remove the smell.

Also, pull off the plastic cover where the windshield wipers are. under that is the intake for your A/C. You might find something dead (leaves / bugs / rodants) there too.

3. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

The previous poster hit two very good possibilities, Ive seen both these happen on infrequently used vehicles, heck Ive seen rodent/bug/lizard issues happen on vehicles that get driven every day.
    Some of my neighbors think Im a crazy cat person but I hate rodents/bugs/spyders/lizards/snakes so much I adopted cats, one lives in the house and keeps it cleen of rodents and I have 2 others that wander my yard and control the outside rodent population. I think a well trained cat does much less damage than any rodent and their easyier to maintain.

5. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mwa3c View Post
    Pull out the fan motor. Sometimes Mice build nests in the fan motor then they just poof, die. The rot smell can be fun..

I'd pull the fan motor and clean out what ever junk is in there. once it is out, you can basically clean the coils, the air box, and spray some cleaner (bleach) in there to remove the smell.

Also, pull off the plastic cover where the windshield wipers are. under that is the intake for your A/C. You might find something dead (leaves / bugs / rodants) there too.
    Will do. Can you point me in the direction of the fan motor or where I can find out how to get it out? There are a lot of pine needles ect on the Windshield wiper covers so that could definitely be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
    Will do. Can you point me in the direction of the fan motor or where I can find out how to get it out? There are a lot of pine needles ect on the Windshield wiper covers so that could definitely be an issue.
    The Below information, should be able to help with the location and how to remove/replace the Fan/Blower Motor, In the Diagram.....Number #23 is the Cover for the Fan/Blower Motor, and Number #25 is the Fan/Blower Motor,

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

8. Likes mfleetwood liked this post