GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Front diff and t-case fluid change.

So some time next week I'm going to be replacing the fluids in both my front diff and transfer care on my 1996 Tahoe. The front diff calls for 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil and the t-case calls for dexron III or superseding. I'm gonna use dexron IV which should be the superseding fluid. It is not an automatic t-case.

Any advice while doing this change?

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

The only advice I have is to make sure that you can get the fill plugs out before you drain them. I also use a piece of cardboard when I drain the front diff. I crease it down the center and lay it on an angle between the drain plug and my drain pan making a trough or ramp for the oil to roll down. This stops me from having to pull my skid plate or covering my skid plate in oil.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'm doing it on a lift at school so removing the plate is easy, its a size 15 mm. I always remove the fill before the drain. Just need to make sure my friend helping knows the same. Do you know the approx size of the t-case drain and fill plugs because they look very large...

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    the t-case calls for dexron III or superseding. I'm gonna use dexron IV which should be the superseding fluid. It is not an automatic t-case.

Any advice while doing this change?
    I agree, you do not have an auto t-case; however, if you have push buttons (and not a shift lever on the floor) you still have clutches. These clutches need Auto Trak II fluid. If you have a manual floor shifter, the ATF will probably work.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I have the push buttons. So you are saying I should use the Auto Track II not the Dexron IV. Poop that would make this change 10x harder because no one sells it in the area. Advance and autozone don't stock it and I don't have an O'Riley's. So the only place to get it would be Chevy where they would mark it up.

BTW in the description of the product it says for Automatic T-cases not regular ones, but since my truck was built in a time of t-case design change I have no clue.

My understanding is manual or clutches. The fully auto cases (like in a Caddy) are not much different from the push button case that you have, they use the same clutch packs. Again, as I understand it, the clutches need the additives that are in the Auto Track II.

Try going to the NPG/NVG (I don't remember if New Process, or New Venture is the current name) web site, maybe they have more info.

Do you have an Owner's Manual?

Usually I hate getting stuff at the stealership too but when I went for the autotrak fluid the price/qt was actually similar in price as any decent synthetic fluid.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    My understanding is manual or clutches. The fully auto cases (like in a Caddy) are not much different from the push button case that you have, they use the same clutch packs. Again, as I understand it, the clutches need the additives that are in the Auto Track II.

Try going to the NPG/NVG (I don't remember if New Process, or New Venture is the current name) web site, maybe they have more info.

Do you have an Owner's Manual?
    My owners manual says Dexron III or superseding fluid. I have the NP241 electronic transfer case. The New Venture site says my product doesn't exist.....

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    My owners manual says Dexron III or superseding fluid. I have the NP241 electronic transfer case. The New Venture site says my product doesn't exist.....
    I would think that if thats what the manual states you will be good. When did they even start using the Autotrak? Maybe the 1996 is pre autotrak fluid.

I think the first Auto-Trak T case was in 98 on the Tahoe and Burban.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast