GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2005 Yukon XL A/C blowing warm

Looking to try and recharge it is there a specific one to use? It was working fine last fall and now it is blowing semi cold. It has rear air and heat if that makes any difference.

Any R-134a freon will work. It would be better if you could find your leak. I have seen many yukon xl/ suburban leak at the rear o-rings. if you crawl under your truck where and look just above the exhaust pipe you will see the connections.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Any R-134a freon will work. It would be better if you could find your leak. I have seen many yukon xl/ suburban leak at the rear o-rings. if you crawl under your truck where and look just above the exhaust pipe you will see the connections.
    As stated you will want to find the leak. So use one with a dye. Hey will all have pressure gauges. One thing first, see if the compressor clutch is turning on. If too low or too high the clutch either will not turn on or cycle on off. I've had compressors go but the last one was very noisy when it went out as well as didn't blow cold.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    As stated you will want to find the leak. So use one with a dye. Hey will all have pressure gauges. One thing first, see if the compressor clutch is turning on. If too low or too high the clutch either will not turn on or cycle on off. I've had compressors go but the last one was very noisy when it went out as well as didn't blow cold.
    It's blowing semi cold after winter. Now that it is warmer it just isn't very cold. It's not ice cold is all. To just recharge with a can wouldn't get it done? The vehicle has 165,000 miles great shape just trying to fix it if I can with a can of recharge?

A can may do it if its low but if its low there is usually a leak. Otherwise it will overcharge it. Doesn't hurt to grab a can.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    A can may do it if its low but if its low there is usually a leak. Otherwise it will overcharge it. Doesn't hurt to grab a can.
    I will give a can a try. I have heard that the Walmart cans have a sealer in it? I don't want a leak sealer to mess up the system if there is a bad leak somewhere. Is there any truth to this or other cans of this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by joscibo View Post
    I will give a can a try. I have heard that the Walmart cans have a sealer in it? I don't want a leak sealer to mess up the system if there is a bad leak somewhere. Is there any truth to this or other cans of this stuff?
    There are a variety of cans at each place you go (Walmart, napa, autozone etc) so if you go to Walmart there will probably be two or three types. I believe most have sealers in them as you typically have some sort of leak if you need a can. Most leak sealers are to recondition old seals, and won't fix a big leak or damage anything (its not like the tire slime type of leak sealer). Realistically they are all the same just made by 2 or 3 companies. Just get one with a gauge on it or pick up the gauge for the can.