GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Freightliner?

Man now were comparing an over the road freight hauler capable of towing 80K lbs. to a 1500......come on... If you needed a 2500 or 3500 why not buy one a 2500 is not much more than a 1500 depending on options esp. in a gas burner. My 2013 is a far better truck than the 78 chevy my dad bought new then gave to me in 84 with only 28000 miles on it. Not to be an a** but I get mad when people wish for "the good old days" solid front axles ride like crap and most of the people who buy a 4x4 1500 or even a HD don't use it to extremes if you want to rock crawl build a buggy, not a new 35 to 50K truck. There are plenty of 2008 NBS trucks with a lot of miles out there are they breaking down in mass numbers? I don't think so. GM went bankrupt because of bad management and debt of retiree payments/medical insurance (which they owe no question) not quality. All the American manufactures have come a long way from the late 70s in quality I know I've owned em all. For light use (remember these are light duty trucks) they work well It won't pull a 25K cow trailer in knee deep mud but GM never said it would I guess it all depends on what you want but I don't miss that pos 78 or solid front axles.

Sr. Mechanic

Especially the legacy costs of retirement and healthcare.

My complaint has primarily been centered around the various aspects of the design that only a person on crack could come up with and some of the frustration about various features and how they function when interacting with every day life.

I guess it was too be expected. I would have to spend a lot of time and money either modifying, replacing, or removing stuff that I had to pay for, was not going to be an option I could avoid no matter what I got, etc. Like the AFM part of these engines. I bought 8 cylinders, I want all of them working, I had to find a work around to get the engine to use all of them. The engine runs a lot better, or maybe I should phrase it "performs better", running around where I live now that the AFM has been effectively disabled. I had to remove the air dam on the front before it became the victim of being ripped off going thru a snow drift or checking a fence line and running into a rut or chuck hole that couldn't be seen and avoided. The latest today was the oil pan drain plug location on the 5.3L LC9. On the side of the pan. That was an interesting first drain. Again, had to improvise and put on a Fumoto drain valve to make controlling the drain flow easier and more manageable. Whoever came up with that location to put a drain plug needs to be flogged until their ancestors scream for mercy.

I suppose it will grow on me and I will like it more over time. Right now, not really a cheerleader for the new vehicles. And have serious questions about what some of the folks in R&D were smoking during their off time. The ride is nice, it is quiet. From the standpoint of maintenance and use around the farm area, it could be better. Some things were just not foreseen when one buys one of these.

I suppose there is a way I haven't found yet to make sure that the vehicle does not lock itself all the time when getting out. Actually, it seems to be intermittent. It may or may not always lock on its own. One better have their keys all the time, leave a window down or a door open. At least there should be an easy way to make it so that it NEVER locks unless I want it to. I haven't figured it out yet, but then, I have a lot to do that consumes some of my time instead of just sitting around playing with this stuff. Always open to a solution from those that have already figured it out. I understand this might be a nice feature for those living in high risk areas and such. We usually don't experience car jackings in the middle of pastures and crop fields of Central Iowa.
    Last edited by Cowpie; 06-30-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    My complaint has primarily been centered around the various aspects of the design that only a person on crack could come up with and some of the frustration about various features and how they function when interacting with every day life.

I guess it was too be expected. I would have to spend a lot of time and money either modifying, replacing, or removing stuff that I had to pay for, was not going to be an option I could avoid no matter what I got, etc. Like the AFM part of these engines. I bought 8 cylinders, I want all of them working, I had to find a work around to get the engine to use all of them. The engine runs a lot better, or maybe I should phrase it "performs better", running around where I live now that the AFM has been effectively disabled. I had to remove the air dam on the front before it became the victim of being ripped off going thru a snow drift or checking a fence line and running into a rut or chuck hole that couldn't be seen and avoided. The latest today was the oil pan drain plug location on the 5.3L LC9. On the side of the pan. That was an interesting first drain. Again, had to improvise and put on a Fumoto drain valve to make controlling the drain flow easier and more manageable. Whoever came up with that location to put a drain plug needs to be flogged until their ancestors scream for mercy.

I suppose it will grow on me and I will like it more over time. Right now, not really a cheerleader for the new vehicles. And have serious questions about what some of the folks in R&D were smoking during their off time. The ride is nice, it is quiet. From the standpoint of maintenance and use around the farm area, it could be better. Some things were just not foreseen when one buys one of these.

I suppose there is a way I haven't found yet to make sure that the vehicle does not lock itself all the time when getting out. Actually, it seems to be intermittent. It may or may not always lock on its own. One better have their keys all the time, leave a window down or a door open. At least there should be an easy way to make it so that it NEVER locks unless I want it to. I haven't figured it out yet, but then, I have a lot to do that consumes some of my time instead of just sitting around playing with this stuff. Always open to a solution from those that have already figured it out. I understand this might be a nice feature for those living in high risk areas and such. We usually don't experience car jackings in the middle of pastures and crop fields of Central Iowa.
    I have never understood why people buy 1500s as farm implements. I would personally get a 2500 or 3500, they're MUCH better suited for that kind of work.

The AFM is seamless, you don't know when it changes from 8 to 4 to 8 unless you have aftermarket louder exhaust. All of the cylinders work when you step on the gas, I gather you don't understand how AFM works. It's in the mid of people that "think" they can feel a difference.

The lower air dam is for fuel economy, the aerodynamics is that the air dam is lowest part of the vehicle directing airflow.

You're actually complaining about the location of the oil drain plug?!!! I worked in the quik lube industry for years and MANY vehicles had the drain plug on the side of the pan.

MY 2013 only locks itself when I put it into gear, then it unlocks itself when I put it into park. My truck does not magically lock itself at sporadic times. If your truck is a farm implement, why not get a W/T, they have no power lock, manual windows, none of that luxury BS to worry about out in the farm field.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I have never understood why people buy 1500s as farm implements. I would personally get a 2500 or 3500, they're MUCH better suited for that kind of work.

The AFM is seamless, you don't know when it changes from 8 to 4 to 8 unless you have aftermarket louder exhaust. All of the cylinders work when you step on the gas, I gather you don't understand how AFM works. It's in the mid of people that "think" they can feel a difference.

The lower air dam is for fuel economy, the aerodynamics is that the air dam is lowest part of the vehicle directing airflow.

You're actually complaining about the location of the oil drain plug?!!! I worked in the quik lube industry for years and MANY vehicles had the drain plug on the side of the pan.

MY 2013 only locks itself when I put it into gear, then it unlocks itself when I put it into park. My truck does not magically lock itself at sporadic times. If your truck is a farm implement, why not get a W/T, they have no power lock, manual windows, none of that luxury BS to worry about out in the farm field.
    Never said it was the PRIMARY vehicle for use on our place or at my work. That is your first failed assumption based on a preconceived idea of things.

I do know how the AFM did perform on my gravel roads and the country highways with the rolling hills where I live. I also was later aware of the various oil consumption issues that some have experienced with engines that have AFM. I also later became aware of various TSB's from GM regarding this issue. I also became aware that some of these issues had supposedly been rectified, but I was not in the mood to make an assumption that they had. Hence, reduce the possibility of a problem, and have maximum engine operation by disabling the AFM. It wasn't an option that I could have avoided by getting a w/t version of the same pickup.

And aerodynamics are NOT the primary reason for this vehicle for my use. This isn't and never was intended for a major commuter vehicle like many are purchased for. I am quite aware of how aerodynamics play into things from several decades in commercial trucking also. Aerodynamics play a major factor when speeds are primarily over 55 mph. 90% of the time, this vehicle will not be operated over that speed where we live. Matter of fact, this vehicle has only been on a 4 lane road with a a speed limit over 55 ONCE in the month it has been in our possession. But since the county can't seem to plow the local roads till a day or two after a major snow, we frequently have to "plow" our way thru the drifts that we can, to get to town. The air dam doesn't stand a chance. Not one of our friends and neighbors has been able to save the air dam on their pickups from dying a tragic death. I was compassionate and removed it before it was tortured to death. And even though it isn't the primary vehicle for use on the farm, it does have to occasionally do something related to that purpose. All of our vehicles must do "double duty" at some point. We have no luxury rides only around here.

Yep, will complain about the location of the drain plug. I never worked a quickie lube. I do maintenance on a lot of stuff from semi's to ag tractors. Even the Jeep Liberty my wife had that my son now owns, all of these have drain plugs in the bottom of the pan. This is my first experience with one that is in the side. It is still a stupid location except maybe in a high performance, low clearance car. None of which I own or have a desire to own.

I can't speak to your 2013, but mine has self locked on me while sitting still and I was out of it. Fortunately, most times the window was down so I could reach in and unlock. Once, I used my iPhone with the Onstar app to unlock it, as the keys were still in it, another common practice by us hayseeds out here in flyover country when we get out of the vehicle to check something.

The vehicle is primarily the wife's vehicle. I drive it, maybe, once or twice a week. In the course of doing that, I may also stop and check something. Also, it may be required for the wife to go to town and pick up parts or something, but I do not expect her to have to resort to only having a w/t version. She or myself might actually have to get off the road to do something. I know is sounds strange to actually take a 4 wheel drive off the road and into the fields (at least it seems that way to the R&D folks at GM who put an air dam on it), but it does happen to us hick country folks who don't earn our living at quickie lubes and only use our vehicle to pull the bass boat and the twigs from the yard once in a while.

So, I find your comments strange as much as you find mine. We don't live in parallel worlds. You find it strange I bought the pickup where I live and what we do. I find it more strange why folks who live in the city buy them to commute to work and hardly ever put anything in the box. Guess our perspectives are different.
    Last edited by Cowpie; 06-30-2013 at 11:54 PM.

I'm not a city dweller my house and land is surrounded by 650 acers of corn and that has several hundred acers of woods around it. I understand using trucks to tow and haul I do both with mine I just understand that a 1500 is a 1/2 ton. I know you can change the speed at which the auto door locks engage thru the driver information screen and I do know that the driver’s door will not lock with the key in the ignition switch my wife has tried the door unlocked and the horn blew several times. I also have worried about the airdam I didn't break the one on my 11 and the 13 has made it sofar but they are easy to take off and a 2in lift also helps.
    Last edited by seanhill1969; 07-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12