GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How does a slim jim work anyhow?

So, just how does a slim jim work anyhow? I've seen them used before. Shoot, I've even seen people make them and then use them. But just what do you have to know in order to use them? What vehicles does it work on and what style of locks?

This looks like a good primer, but it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

That video was incorrect about a few things.
    A slim jim works by using the hook and notch at the bottom to grab the actuating rod for the door lock mechanism and moving it upward to unlock the door.
    That gentleman claimed it would only work on verticle lock mechanisms, this is incorrect as for horizontle mechanisms you simply hold the tool at an angle and slide forwards or backwards along the door to unlock.
    Slim Jim's are normally made of very thin flexible metal that can be bent into shapes to better grab the lock mech rods in the door.
    Some late model vehicles may have verticle lock knobs but be an electrical system that operates via wire to the latch or may operate via sleeved cable to the latch, these systems are hard to beat but can sometimes bea beaten if they have an exterior mechanism on the latch or the knob.
    The best way to learn how to use a slim jim is by practicing on a car with the inner door panel removed, this way you can get a working idea of whats going on out of site while normally operating a slim jim.
    Slim jims are sometimes used to slip btwn the top of the door glass and weather seal to go inside and manipulate the lock knob.
    The best key to learning is practice.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I would say about 85% of the cars out there can be broken into with a slim jim or Coat hanger....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

ive only been successful at this ONCE in my life... and it was with a piece of wire, and not my sheriff issue slim-jim LOL

the only reason it worked was because it was my 1970 chevelle,
    I had taken the door panels off dozens of times and could draw you a map of the inside,
    and the window was cracked so I could press it away from the door enough to fit something inside.

trucks are meant to be more secure, so if you lock your keys inside... you may be out a window....
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

What no slim Jim jokes? First you grab the slim Jim... grasp the wrapped at the top... and carefully tear downward and enjoy...)). Seriously in the old days could get into a car very quickly with a coat hanger and a shoe lace.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.