GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Bad Shake/Vibration

    When driving my 2004 Silverado over rough and bumpy roads, the truck will shake and vibrate real bad. Feels like wheel hop on real bumpy roads. And I can feel it in the steering wheel too. It is so bad it feels like it has no shocks on it. The truck does not pull left or right going over bumpy/rough roads, but it does have some bump steer in it. Drives straight as a pin on smooth straight roads. Also when I am making turns, the steering wheel has a little push and pull effect in it. Any one know what the problem(s) could be?

    I have recently replaced the:
    shocks
    inner and outer tie rods
    pittman arm
    idler arm
    rotors and brakes
    wheel bearings/hubs

    And had an alignment maybe last summer.
    I am thinking it might be the ball joints or maybe a steering pump, or the steering gear going bad? I mentioned this steering shake and wheel hop issue to the shop when I had the alignment done, but they said they didn`t see anything wrong. Said it might be because of the stiffer shocks I put on. They are HD Bilsteins. But, now it is so bad it feels like the wheels are going to fall off.

    Henry
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500; 4x4; Ext. Cab; 5.3L FI

  2. #2
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowTieFan1 View Post
    When driving my 2004 Silverado over rough and bumpy roads, the truck will shake and vibrate real bad. Feels like wheel hop on real bumpy roads. And I can feel it in the steering wheel too. It is so bad it feels like it has no shocks on it. The truck does not pull left or right going over bumpy/rough roads, but it does have some bump steer in it. Drives straight as a pin on smooth straight roads. Also when I am making turns, the steering wheel has a little push and pull effect in it. Any one know what the problem(s) could be?

    I have recently replaced the:
    shocks
    inner and outer tie rods
    pittman arm
    idler arm
    rotors and brakes
    wheel bearings/hubs

    And had an alignment maybe last summer.
    I am thinking it might be the ball joints or maybe a steering pump, or the steering gear going bad? I mentioned this steering shake and wheel hop issue to the shop when I had the alignment done, but they said they didn`t see anything wrong. Said it might be because of the stiffer shocks I put on. They are HD Bilsteins. But, now it is so bad it feels like the wheels are going to fall off.
    I would guess it is the death wobble. when you hit a bump on the highway the truck will bounce and the steering wheel will shake so bad you will think it the end.

    with a non rack steering the idler arm /pitman arm is worn and has excessive play/loose to frame. can be the steering box worn this is a common wear item for some. I guess its on how they work the steering ..

    I have HD bilstien shocks and I doubt shocks can cause this wobble..especially on a 2004 ....

    on the alignment if a tire shop did it that, could be why they did not see the problem. do you replace the parts and check out this front end for wear ?

    follow the procedure to check these components before replacing every thing,

  3. #3
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Stupid question, but do you have TOO much air in the tires? Run the recommended pressure, and see if that helps...

  4. #4

    Default

    After a lot of frustration with the way the truck was driving and handling for a long time, I took it to a local mechanic shop. They said the shocks are worn and the rotors need to be re-surfaced. And they wanted a thousand dollars to fix it. I said thanks, but no thanks and walked out.
    I really did not believe them, and they just wanted to gouge me because they had a new garage built, that they need to pay for.
    So, I did some research online and found that CV joint axles can cause the problems I have. I talked to another mechanic at a different shop about CV axles, and he says CV joints usually don`t cause wheel bounce and vibration.
    Well, yesterday I replaced them any way. And let me tell you, this made a HUGE improvement to the steering and handling! It even fixed the clunking that was happening when accelerating/de-accelerating.
    Even though the old CV joint boots were not cracked and never lost any grease, those CV`s were simply worn out. They were even causing a dragging feeling, like I was always towing something.
    I got to tell you, if you want something fixed, sometimes you have to do it yourself because I have taken my truck to mechanics too many times and pay for something that does not get fixed. Dealers included. I can`t trust anyone.

    Henry
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500; 4x4; Ext. Cab; 5.3L FI

  5. #5
    Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Unfortunately true
    You frequently have to DIY or you get gouged
    Glad worked out OK for you
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

    199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

  6. #6
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowTieFan1 View Post
    After a lot of frustration with the way the truck was driving and handling for a long time, I took it to a local mechanic shop. They said the shocks are worn and the rotors need to be re-surfaced. And they wanted a thousand dollars to fix it. I said thanks, but no thanks and walked out.
    I really did not believe them, and they just wanted to gouge me because they had a new garage built, that they need to pay for.
    So, I did some research online and found that CV joint axles can cause the problems I have. I talked to another mechanic at a different shop about CV axles, and he says CV joints usually don`t cause wheel bounce and vibration.
    Well, yesterday I replaced them any way. And let me tell you, this made a HUGE improvement to the steering and handling! It even fixed the clunking that was happening when accelerating/de-accelerating.
    Even though the old CV joint boots were not cracked and never lost any grease, those CV`s were simply worn out. They were even causing a dragging feeling, like I was always towing something.
    I got to tell you, if you want something fixed, sometimes you have to do it yourself because I have taken my truck to mechanics too many times and pay for something that does not get fixed. Dealers included. I can`t trust anyone.
    the front CV joints normally are not a problem. could be too much 4wd operation on solid dry pavement with tires not rotated regularly.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the front CV joints normally are not a problem. could be too much 4wd operation on solid dry pavement with tires not rotated regularly.
    Don't they rotate enough just going down the road?
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

  8. #8

    Default

    Wheel bearings will make it 100%. I just went thru this with my van, I got sick of guessing so I had it diagnosed, had them fix a check engine light issue instead,,
    now just to fix my exhaust and she should be golden,,

  9. #9
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    cv joints will wear out if your in 4wd on dry pavement and turn the wheels full left right. this does a lot of damage. this could take very little time to wear them out with NO boot / lube leak issues.

    over the years not many have had worn CV joints . even those with 200,000mi.reported no issues.

Similar Threads

  1. beam shake
    By steingang2 in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM
  2. Can't shake the demons
    By 02Savana in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
  3. k1500 bad shake
    By smitty2000441 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
  4. Shake in the front in 4x4
    By Jibsta in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
  5. GM continues shake up of top management
    By Steve in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •