GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2008 silverado leveling kit gas tank problems

I have a 2008 chevy silverado z71 ltz crew cab. Recently put a 2.25 leveling kit on from skyjacker and nitto terra 285/70/17 on. I am having problems with running out of fuel. Truck will say 74 miles to empty and then just shut off. Does anybody have any suggestion on what I could do. I am consisting taking the leveling kit off. Really really done want to.

I know this doesn't help you, but when I had just the front leveling kit (2.5") on my '08, I never had this issue. Unless your sending unit is different, for some reason?
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Fuel pickup should be lowest part of the tank... seems strange a leveling kit would affect this. If you really think it is the level kit you have an option to install blocks to the rear to put a little rake back in.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Former Member

I would suspect a faulty pickup/sending unit in the tank (not completely on the bottom of the tank) or the calibration is off. Going up a slight incline without a leveling kit would have caused the same issue...so its not the leveling kit.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bueghly View Post
    I have a 2008 chevy silverado z71 ltz crew cab. Recently put a 2.25 leveling kit on from skyjacker and nitto terra 285/70/17 on. I am having problems with running out of fuel. Truck will say 74 miles to empty and then just shut off. Does anybody have any suggestion on what I could do. I am consisting taking the leveling kit off. Really really done want to.
    the operating of this vehicle with less than or at 1/4 amount of fuel is not recommended. the fuel pump requires fuel to be cooled. overheating will damage the fuel pump. if the front end was made higher than rear by even a small amount the fuel tank pump will not be able to suck up the fuel from the front of the tank when at a low level. keep fuel at 1/3 or more at all times.