GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

for the tight budget person, (which is virtually everyone in comrade Obama's America)

upgrade the air intake, the ignition, the fan, the exhaust.
    you already have a high flow muffler, so youll be fine.
    oh, and put royal purple oil in the transmission and diff. it will make the truck much happier and its proven to add horse power to the wheels by cutting friction.

after the engine blows, or you know you want to drop in a replacement; then you can do things like headers, aluminum heads, and simple engine mods like porting, polishing, rocker arms, etc.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

...or you could save your money for an upgrade worth buying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    GM Performance 383E is drop in and smog legal
    In truth not exactly drop in since transmissions aren't rated for 435 lb ft
    Best bang for buck in many respects
    $4800 seems like a lot-but once you add up all the bolt ons
    they can be $2000+ pretty easy-and they won't add 90 hp
    Yes GM puts a 3.8" stroker crank(memory says 3.8" could be wrong)-guessing that is same as old 400 engine
    this is probably the best way to go. not necessarily a 383 but just a drop in performance engine, wether it be a 350 with forced induction, 355, 383, 454, or if you really want to be a badass, 496 (mmmm.....)

5.7L 350| .420 Cam | Bored 0.030 | Edelbrock intake manifold | 600 Cfm Edelbrock Carburetor | Long tube headers | Shift kit | Chrome dress up kit | Flowmaster 40's exhaust | Edelbrock heads | Custom paint
    SOLD

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

HONORARY CANUCK

thanks n yea i was think in bout switching to synthetic oil but someone told me that it wasnt a good idea on a high mileage truck. n i think my trans is starting to go out cuz if i am driving it alot it begins to idk how to explain it but it feels like a pull when it changes from 1st to 2nd n kind 2nd to 3rd. if it does go out i want to change the gearing n get a smoother sift when i put my foot down what do u recommend.

- - - Updated - - -

also i hav seen some people cutting the diffuser of the butterfly plate what does this do n would it be o good idea to try it?

yeah, certainly change the trans oil and filter. add more magnets to the pan as well. even drain the torque converter if you can.
    but whatever you do, DO NOT "flush" the transmission. ever.

this is something you can do in your driveway for under $100. new gasket, new filter, more magnets, and royal purple oil will keep the trans going as long as possible, and free up a couple horses.
    dropping the pan will also tell you how bad the transmission has worn. I highly recommend doing this with the diff cover as well, just to make sure its wearing well.
    I wish I checked mine right after I bought it..... cause the carrier blew out one day... lol

for the engine, it does not matter what you run, cause you change it every 3-5K miles. I run 20w-50 cause its such a worn out V8....

-----
    as for "cutting the diffuser of the butterfly plate"..... don't know what that is, but id say don't ever cut ANYTHING in or around your intake or throttle body.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

gotta agree with K15 Blazer-
    cutting ANYTHING on the throttle plate-BAD IDEA.
    The diffuser-sounds like something to diffuses the fuel-
    SPREADS it out so maybe it evaporates and burns more readily
    or even is more evenly distributed to the cylinders
    Yeah-sounds like a MUST NOT DO to me.

My Suburban- 1998 in service since 2007-223,000 miles- I switched to 10w30 Mobil 1 extended service-instead of the 5w30 manual suggests- because it MUST have plenty of wear-doesn't use oil-gets great mpg-but lotta miles-so heavier oil.If I was certain it had more wear-say 10 psi oil pressure at idle
    I would also go 20w50.

So you use Royal Purple Syn trans fluid-works well for you?? been 40000 miles 7 years since trans fluid changed-maybe better do it before trip??
    Thanks
    Charlie

PS In defense of Obama-gas was about $1.25 when George Bush 2 became president 2000- it spiked to $4.05 under President Bush in 2008-
    and was only $1.85 when Obama became president because the economy was TANKED by greedy bankers who control BOTH PARTIES-GOLDMANN SACKS-both parties shill for Goldmann Sacks and their ilk!!

Not wanting a battle-but Obama isn't a bad president-economy is somewhat better than it was-still sucks-but sucks slightly less.Both parties are shills for folks who vacation in the Hamptons Martha's Vinyard have million dollar apartments in NYNY estates in CA Chalets in Vail Aspen-yeah greedy thieves that cream money off EVERY transaction done in the USA.
    Both Obama and Bush shill for those thieves!
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

ok sounds good n bout the butterfly plate there is a lip under it n supposedly by cutting this lip off u get better throttle response because he air flows in quicker that with it being their. n also i think cant remember for sure there is a company that sells the throttle body without this lip

- - - Updated - - -

n what kind of oil should i use my truck has bout 180,000 miles

yeah, don't **** with it... the manifold is plastic...

getting rid of the mechanical fan has given me the best throttle response gains I have even felt. the engine no longer has to coil and throw that 5lb spring loaded piece of steel around the water pump...

use whatever oil you like. its your truck. these V8s get a personality to their driver.
    I had to use 20w50 because the main owner used my truck as a tow pig. as a result, the bearings in the engine were so worn from hard torqueing, the oil PSI would drop to zero at idle.... so I need thicker oil to fill the clearance gaps and maintain good PSI
    also probably why the carrier cracked.....

if you're maintaining good oil PSI, and even compression in each cly, just use whatever.
    thicker oil will help to raise compression and oil PSI... but it will also rob a little bit of HP if you go TOO thick.
    lighter tight clearance oils can free up horse power. but this isn't a 101 octane, high compression, 55cc head race engine, so don't worry about that lol
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12