GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Any golfers? School me on clubs.

I want to get into golf as a hobby. I know the ins and outs and rules of the game, as I have played several times in the past (and even made the golf team in junior high, lol) but I have been out of it for a while. I mainy want to know about clubs. I need a set of irons. I already have the shoes, a bag, a driver and a putter. I just need the irons.

What are some good brands? Will a set off the shelf work or would it be better to get them custom fit?

Thanks!
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

I like my Callaway clubs. When I bought them I was torn between them and a set of Mizuno's. The best advice I can give is to go to a golf store. Not Dick's but a store like Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy and swing the different brands. To me golf clubs are like pistol's. It is all in the feel. The off the self golf club is designed for some one that is like 5' 10" or something like that. I am 6'1 or so, so I had a set custom made for me. The price was the same whether it was off the shelf or custom. So I would go custom unless the off the shelf ones fit. Another thing to look at it steel or graphite. I was always told that older players (50+) may benefit from graphite because of slower swing speeds. Just another thing to think about!

How old is your driver? There have been many advancements in driver's over the last few years. So a new driver may also be a good idea.
    Last edited by Steve; 06-19-2013 at 12:55 PM.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

I am actually 5'-9", 5'-10" ish so off-the-shelf clubs may work. I figured they were for the "average" player. I just didn't know how crucial club length was. But, I will certainly go to a golf shop and try out all the different ones. My driver is only a couple of years old, at most.

I also have a set of Callaway irons. I wanted a set of mizuno forged irons, but they cost 2 mortgage payments. I agree with what is posted above. Go to a good golf store and hit some clubs, heck hit lots of clubs. It took me about 3-4 weeks to narrow down what I wanted. I went to a "demo days" at a local golf store. There were reps from every brand, I was able to hit every model from every brand with every shaft available. It is all in the feel that you like. I ended up liking the Callaway X-22 and the big bertha's. I bought the big bertha irons from a reputable seller on E-bay (the x-22 were double the price at the time). I called callaway before I bought them and they told me that the seller was an authorized distributor. After I got the clubs I took them to the local golf shop and they inspected them for free to check for authenticity.
    Last edited by Pikey; 06-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Haha, I expect this thread will get a lot of responses; however, @aloxdaddy99 and @Pikey have provided great advice, the only thing I can add, is to try the different shaft flexes. IMO, the most important fitting (after length) is the correct shaft flex (stiff, regular and senior). Other advice that I can provide, would be to consider hybrids for the longer irons (the 3 and the 4); and, you can never have too many wedges.

And, remember the old saying, "Drive for show, putt for dough", get a good putter.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I used Titleist clubs and Calaway drivers when I played for fun a few years earilier! I may sell then for a discount price, if interested..........Oh by the way I am 5'10" and they worked for me!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    I want to get into golf as a hobby. I know the ins and outs and rules of the game, as I have played several times in the past (and even made the golf team in junior high, lol) but I have been out of it for a while. I mainy want to know about clubs. I need a set of irons. I already have the shoes, a bag, a driver and a putter. I just need the irons.

What are some good brands? Will a set off the shelf work or would it be better to get them custom fit?

Thanks!
    Get the ones that hit the ball the farthest.

Just have to try a few different mfgs out to see what you like. My shoulders are so screwed up that it almost doesn't matter anymore, I just need something fairly sturdy and I can go out and knock some balls around a little bit. I've got an old set of McGreggors that probably was like $250 back in the early 90's (I bought them used for like $125) that works just as good as my Pings that were a lot more. I will say that the length of the club actually sort-of does make a difference. I found that when I get the +1 clubs I had more contact with the ball.

I love going into Play it Again Sports (http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations) just to see what they have and try to work them down on price. They always have decent golf clubs there. If there isn't anything around you like that, then a higher-end Pawn shop will have some, or you can look on craigslist even.

Anyhow, good luck! Let us know what you get.

Edit: yeah, what @aloxdaddy99 said about club length. I'm a bit outside of the norm for height myself, so getting oversized clubs helped a lot for me.
    Last edited by Steve; 06-19-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

@estrom Lots of good advice there. I am serious about taking this up as a hobby. I would to play a round maybe every other weekend. My first three to five outings will be the driving range to get my swing back. It's been probably 15 years since my last full round of golf and two or three years since my last trip to the driving range.

I definitely do not want to spend a lot so getting a used set is great idea. I think I'll go check out my nearest Play It Again Sports this weekend. I certainly upgrade later once my score drops. @Steve Thanks for the link. I think the store in Carrolton is closest to me.
    Last edited by Steve; 06-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Hey @McClintoc ... looks like Bill Murray wants to help you out with some golf clubs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21swr.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	53074

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Woohoo! Free golf clubs!