GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default PCV mod questions

id like to eliminate my PCV system (from my intake) so i can keep my intake clean and also reduce the small vac leaks i have. iv tested this with both parts of the intake plugged and my fuel trim numbers are lower and seems to run nicer too. however i do want to make sure i have a good enough pcv system. anyone done any mods that might be worth checking out.?
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
    id like to eliminate my PCV system (from my intake) so i can keep my intake clean and also reduce the small vac leaks i have. iv tested this with both parts of the intake plugged and my fuel trim numbers are lower and seems to run nicer too. however i do want to make sure i have a good enough pcv system. anyone done any mods that might be worth checking out.?
    crankcase vapors are sent to the / thru the PCV. then the vapor is ingested by way of the engine intake.

the crankcase would require a breather so vapors can be vented . you cannot plug up the PCV /crankcase. the vapor pressure must not be allowed to build up as this will blow out the gaskets/oil seals etc...

doing this would be an emission violation. also I doubt it will cause any improvement in engine operation/MPG. if you did find an improvement then the PCV is worn out or the hoses are with leaks ..

Jr. Engineer

iv got vaccume leaks at the dipstic, distributor gasket and possibly the back of the intake. i know how the system works and everything i just wasnt sure if somone has removed it from the intake system before or not.

the PCV system also recycles any vapor/exhaust/blow-by that you may get through your valves or piston rings.... helping your oil do it job better.
    if you want to reduce vacuum leaks in the PCV system, get new fresh rubber fittings and new PCV valves. it will save you WAY more time, money, and frustration than trying to delete stuff....
    and the engine will be happier too =)
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
    iv got vaccume leaks at the dipstic, distributor gasket and possibly the back of the intake. i know how the system works and everything i just wasnt sure if somone has removed it from the intake system before or not.
    the distributor / dip stick is the crankcase. no big deal on an older vehicle 5.7L ?

THE INTAKE IF LEAKING SHOULD BE REPAIRED.

This will improve engine performance and MPG.

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the distributor / dip stick is the crankcase. no big deal on an older vehicle 5.7L ?

THE INTAKE IF LEAKING SHOULD BE REPAIRED.

This will improve engine performance and MPG.
    It's just a minor oil leak at the back of the intake. I'm just assuming if oil is coming out, air must be going in. And I do t want to do I take gaskets Again so soon