GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Front end noises when turning in 4WD

I got a new goat yesterday and decided to just pull the trailer into the pasture and let him out there instead of backing up to the gate. While out there, I decided to engage the 4wd to give it some use. It worked fine but when I was turning around the front end was making some strange noises. I wasn't at full lock btw, I had it turned probably 75% or so of turning capacity if you know what I mean. I can't remember exactly how it sounded so I can't really describe it. I would expect some noise on pavement from the binding due to the traction but not out there. It wasn't wet or anything but my pasture is about 16"-20" tall thick bermuda which I figured would be fine to engage it on. I don't have much experience with 4x4 vehicles so what should I check and what all sounds are normal/acceptable for the situation I was in?

2005 Silverado, Z71, 4X4, 5.3L
    WAR EAGLE!!!

When in 4x4 the CV joints are in constant pressure by the motor like the rear end is. This means as you turn the wheel and the tires move and the joints adjust they go under lots of stress and will tend to make noise especially when not moving forward or really low speeds. My moms Forester does the same thing as does my Tahoe.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wmkess View Post
    I got a new goat yesterday and decided to just pull the trailer into the pasture and let him out there instead of backing up to the gate. While out there, I decided to engage the 4wd to give it some use. It worked fine but when I was turning around the front end was making some strange noises. I wasn't at full lock btw, I had it turned probably 75% or so of turning capacity if you know what I mean. I can't remember exactly how it sounded so I can't really describe it. I would expect some noise on pavement from the binding due to the traction but not out there. It wasn't wet or anything but my pasture is about 16"-20" tall thick bermuda which I figured would be fine to engage it on. I don't have much experience with 4x4 vehicles so what should I check and what all sounds are normal/acceptable for the situation I was in?

2005 Silverado, Z71, 4X4, 5.3L
    could be the CV making the noise. check the front short driveshaft U joint.